Tractor
    John Deere 3520

Default Need new battery

The battery in my 3520 crapped out on me. Not enough power to run the electronics and it won't take a charge. My super-duper digital charger goes through a de-sulfation cycle then when that finishes it goes into "charge mode" and errors out... saying the battery isn't charged. Sticker says the battery was made in April '05 and we all know about the other problems they have, so I guess it's just time to get a new one.

Have read the many threads about installing Optima batteries but I think I'd rather find one that fits vs fabricating a mounting system. Any recommendations?

Elite Member
    Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    Case 1845 C Skid steer

Default Re: Need new battery

How about you bring your battery to your local auto parts store, they will check for free and maybe even charge it for free also, I use Auto Zone stores and they do that
    Just tell them Jim sent you
    Just kidding, I just bought a new battery at SamsClub and I only use a real batterytender and I love them, I have 6 of these
    And the Optima battery is rated to be a real good one and big $$
    Click here for my current weather

Case 1845C with dirt bucket, forks, 3 point quick hitch on the front, 30'. boom, 6 & 1/2 foot disc harrow, 5 foot Howse RC, root and tree bucket and Grouser tracks and a Ford F-550 pick up,7.3 Turbo with Auto and a Crosley 25' X 8'.6" X 14 K D/O trailer.
    PDF files don't like me !!
    Making a F-550 Pick Up thread
    My Gallery
    My other Gallery
    Revielle video here
    Dear Eliot

Tractor
    John Deere 3520

LOL- I called Autozone and told them you sent me their direction for diagnostics. They said that there would be a $100 fee just because I mentioned your name!

Actually, my super-duper battery charger really is super and I trust it saying the battery is bad. Probably wouldn't hurt to have it load-tested too- nothing like a second opinion!

Thanks!

Elite Member
    Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    Case 1845 C Skid steer

Quote Originally Posted by NoMo
    LOL- I called Autozone and told them you sent me their direction for diagnostics. They said that there would be a $100 fee just because I mentioned your name!

Actually, my super-duper battery charger really is super and I trust it saying the battery is bad. Probably wouldn't hurt to have it load-tested too- nothing like a second opinion!

Thanks!
    I recently played the same game you are now, the batery would show 12.76 volts and when I hit the starter I got the DRRRRt sound, meaning dead battery, I now own a new battery and thats all it was, load test is everything to a battery and you must of talked to the wrong guy at Auto Zone
    most auto part stores should be able to do that load test for ya and then you will know for sure
    I see a new battery in your future and you could always keeep your battery around for running a car radio in your shop with a small charger hooked up to it, food for thought
    Jim

Case 1845C with dirt bucket, forks, 3 point quick hitch on the front, 30'. boom, 6 & 1/2 foot disc harrow, 5 foot Howse RC, root and tree bucket and Grouser tracks and a Ford F-550 pick up,7.3 Turbo with Auto and a Crosley 25' X 8'.6" X 14 K D/O trailer.
    My Gallery
    My other Gallery
    Revielle video here
    Dear Eliot

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

I see that harbor freight now has carbon pile load testers...

I've been tempted to get one.. looks like they will be handy for this sort of thing...

Soundguy

Veteran Member

I bought this onefrom harbor freight , didnt think id ever use it but its more than paid for itself now. But I almost think I paid even less that the 20 dollars. not sure...
    Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Tractor
    John Deere 3520

Dug out the DMM this afternoon and measured the battery... 10.75 volts. I believe it's toast (not the good buttery kind). Checked the local ag store and even Wally World and neither had the right size. Guess I'll just order another deere special and see how long it'll last.

Elite Member
    Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    Case 1845 C Skid steer

Quote Originally Posted by NoMo
    Dug out the DMM this afternoon and measured the battery... 10.75 volts. I believe it's toast (not the good buttery kind). Checked the local ag store and even Wally World and neither had the right size. Guess I'll just order another deere special and see how long it'll last.
    I've had great luck shopping at Samsclub for batteries
    Jim

My Gallery
    My other Gallery
    Revielle video here
    Dear Eliot