Need new battery

/ Need new battery #1  

NoMo

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 3520
The battery in my 3520 crapped out on me. Not enough power to run the electronics and it won't take a charge. My super-duper digital charger goes through a de-sulfation cycle then when that finishes it goes into "charge mode" and errors out... saying the battery isn't charged. Sticker says the battery was made in April '05 and we all know about the other problems they have, so I guess it's just time to get a new one.

Have read the many threads about installing Optima batteries but I think I'd rather find one that fits vs fabricating a mounting system. Any recommendations?

/ Need new battery #2  
How about you bring your battery to your local auto parts store, they will check for free and maybe even charge it for free also, I use Auto Zone stores and they do that
Just tell them Jim sent you :D
Just kidding, I just bought a new battery at SamsClub and I only use a real batterytender and I love them, I have 6 of these
And the Optima battery is rated to be a real good one and big $$

/ Need new battery
LOL- I called Autozone and told them you sent me their direction for diagnostics. They said that there would be a $100 fee just because I mentioned your name! ;)

Actually, my super-duper battery charger really is super and I trust it saying the battery is bad. Probably wouldn't hurt to have it load-tested too- nothing like a second opinion! :D

Thanks!

/ Need new battery #4  
NoMo said:
LOL- I called Autozone and told them you sent me their direction for diagnostics. They said that there would be a $100 fee just because I mentioned your name! ;)

Actually, my super-duper battery charger really is super and I trust it saying the battery is bad. Probably wouldn't hurt to have it load-tested too- nothing like a second opinion! :D

Thanks!
I recently played the same game you are now, the batery would show 12.76 volts and when I hit the starter I got the DRRRRt sound, meaning dead battery, I now own a new battery and thats all it was, load test is everything to a battery and you must of talked to the wrong guy at Auto Zone :D
most auto part stores should be able to do that load test for ya and then you will know for sure
I see a new battery in your future and you could always keeep your battery around for running a car radio in your shop with a small charger hooked up to it, food for thought
Jim

/ Need new battery #5  
I see that harbor freight now has carbon pile load testers...

I've been tempted to get one.. looks like they will be handy for this sort of thing...

Soundguy

/ Need new battery
Dug out the DMM this afternoon and measured the battery... 10.75 volts. I believe it's toast (not the good buttery kind). Checked the local ag store and even Wally World and neither had the right size. Guess I'll just order another Deere special and see how long it'll last. :)

/ Need new battery #8  
NoMo said:
Dug out the DMM this afternoon and measured the battery... 10.75 volts. I believe it's toast (not the good buttery kind). Checked the local ag store and even Wally World and neither had the right size. Guess I'll just order another Deere special and see how long it'll last. :)

I've had great luck shopping at Samsclub for batteries
Jim