Which one will pull more???

/ Which one will pull more??? #1  

jcmseven

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 2320; 4520
OK, I realize this is the "chicken or the egg" question to ask, but I had a question I felt would benefit from the groups' opinion. Which of these machines would have the greater "drawbar pull": a higher horsepowered mid frame machine such as a 3520 or 3720 with R1 tires that are loaded and perhaps wheel weights, or a 4020 series machine with R4 tires?? There is a reason I ask this question but I would like the panel's opinion before mentioning the reason I ask this. Any of our posters can chime in on this; I have a thought on the answer, but am not sure. Thus, the question. Thanks to all in advance.

John M

/ Which one will pull more??? #2  
Most likely the one with more weight. More HP will just allow it to pull the load faster...

/ Which one will pull more??? #3  
The ag tires would probably get better traction in most cases. If your tractor ain't got no traction, you can't pull. JC

/ Which one will pull more??? #4  
I'll go with the "more wieght" option above... Without enough of it the wheels will spin regardless of the number of ponies involved...

/ Which one will pull more???
So, I suppose the question would be, "Does a smaller lighter tractor, weighted with liquid ballast and more aggressive tires equal the pulling power of a larger heavier machine with less aggressive tires?" Am I hearing so far the larger machine would pull more??

John M

/ Which one will pull more??? #6  
My .02:

If either tractor is capable (in low) of spinning the tires each has more than enough torque than it can put to the ground. In this case it's not an HP argument but a traction argument. Traction depends on two many factors to know in advance but is between the tires and the ground. Different surfaces require different tires. If you were on pavement I'd put R3's up against R4's or AG's due to having much more surface area. Lugs don't help you much on extremely hard surfaces for the same reason slick tires don't work well on non-pavement/soft surfaces.

But not knowing any of that I'd bet on the heavier tractor. ;)

/ Which one will pull more??? #7  
those are pretty small R-1's on that tractor.

I'd put my money on the 4020, with the much
larger tire.

/ Which one will pull more??? #8  
Dutch445 said:
those are pretty small R-1's on that tractor.

I'd put my money on the 4020, with the much
larger tire.

Mornin Dutch,
I agree with you, hands down ! The 3520 and 3720 are only about 3000 lbs without a cab. The 4020 is almost 9000 lbs without any cab or extra weights ! The 4020 is a full sized ag tractor that could hook on to both of those smaller tractors and pull them all over the field IMO ! ;)

/ Which one will pull more??? #9  
scott_vt said:
Mornin Dutch,
I agree with you, hands down ! The 3520 and 3720 are only about 3000 lbs without a cab. The 4020 is almost 9000 lbs without any cab or extra weights ! The 4020 is a full sized ag tractor that could hook on to both of those smaller tractors and pull them all over the field IMO ! ;)

Scott,
I do think he was referring to the 4x20 series compact tractors though,,

which I still feel those little 11.2-24 R-1's are too small for real traction.
If we could get a 13.6x28, then maybe...

:D

/ Which one will pull more??? #10  
Is there a differance in traction from a tall and short tire? I can see ground clearance and final drive ratios, but not traction. Width could come into play, but wider is not always better either. JC