Ballast Pix of concrete filled ballast box

/ Pix of concrete filled ballast box #1  

JB4310

Tractor
J.D. 4310 E-hydro
Didn't want to at first but needed more ballast for traction in snow and counter weight for heavy pallet fork work.
Six 80# bags of concrete plus metal box makes it about 500 pounds, not sure what it weighed before with 3/4" crushed stone.
Of course I got the idea for the pvc pipe on this site, 1-4", 1-3" and 4-1.5" pipes, while I was doing it I was thinking maybe steel pipe would be better cause if one snaps off your stuck now that it's in concrete, I doubt the 3 or 4" will break, the 4" pipe will hold 4 long handled tools by it self.

Attachments

• P8219593 (600 x 450).jpg
    P8219593 (600 x 450).jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 2,318
  • P8219595 (600 x 450).jpg
    P8219595 (600 x 450).jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 1,804
  • P8229600 (600 x 450).jpg
    P8229600 (600 x 450).jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,736
  • P8229605 (600 x 450).jpg
    P8229605 (600 x 450).jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 1,991
   / Pix of concrete filled ballast box #2  
Jb4310 , that looks great...:)
I did the same thing , except i used cast iron pipes
to try to keep as much weight as i could. and i ended up
useing only 4 pipes. i thought that was enough for me.
I like the way you painted it. you did a great job.
here is a pic of mine. you can get some nice rubber matting
from Home depot. to give it a nice touch. i find the pipes work good
to hold my logging chains...;)

Chris...:)
20070618010459aasy5.jpg

/ Pix of concrete filled ballast box #3  
Great idea! Now I know what to do with mine.

One question/thought: Do you guys keep these things outside? If so, would water pool up on top or down the pipes, eventually rusting it out? Would some type of weep holes be a good idea? Am I over thinking this?

Thanks for the helpful post and photos.

/ Pix of concrete filled ballast box #4  
JB,

Nice job! You'll notice a lot more stability with the concrete-filled box. I just wish I had thought of putting in the pipes before I filled mine! :)

/ Pix of concrete filled ballast box #5  
Thats a great place to mount a tool box!

Malvern

/ Pix of concrete filled ballast box #6  
Killer_B said:
Great idea! Now I know what to do with mine.

One question/thought: Do you guys keep these things outside? If so, would water pool up on top or down the pipes, eventually rusting it out? Would some type of weep holes be a good idea? Am I over thinking this?

Thanks for the helpful post and photos.

Killer_B , I dont know about everyone else. but none of my attachments
stays outside. there all in the garage...;) but my pipes are cast iron
and i welded them in. and there are 5/16 holes drilled in the buttom under the pipe. so water can drain out.

Chris....:)

/ Pix of concrete filled ballast box
Chris, I like the steel pipe, looks like 2"? I use mine for the long handled tools like rakes, shovels and brooms etc. but if I catch a limb with a tool the plastic will break, I've got every kind of tool for coring and boring concrete, being a drainage/waterproofing contractor, but it would be a bear to replace one of the pipes now, especially since I used 5000 PSI concrete! I had plenty of steel pipe around oh well didn't have a problem for the last 2 years with the plastic pipes set in stone.

Killer_B, mine is drained also.

JDFANATIC, you could core drill it, a 2" bit is just right for 1.5" pipe, it would be a PITA, you'd have to lay it down so you could drill horizontally.

Malvern, I am thinking about a tool box on the side, want to leave the center open.

How about this, a chainsaw scabbard set in the concrete for the guys who do alot of saw work, I only do a little right now and my small saw will fit in the 3" pipe.

/ Pix of concrete filled ballast box #8  
JDFANATIC said:
JB,

Nice job! You'll notice a lot more stability with the concrete-filled box. I just wish I had thought of putting in the pipes before I filled mine! :)

I always thought of the FEL as the handy carry all:)

/ Pix of concrete filled ballast box #9  
Boxes look real nice, how much do they way just curious.

/ Pix of concrete filled ballast box #10  
Depends on what you fill them with. Some people have (7) 80# bags of portland cement. Mine only is only filled 2/3 with clay soil (hard enough now that it might as well be cement). I plan on redoing that when it's cooler outside. I'll probably fill it with crushed stone...