Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    J.D. 4310 E-hydro

Default Pix of concrete filled ballast box

Didn't want to at first but needed more ballast for traction in snow and counter weight for heavy pallet fork work.
    Six 80# bags of concrete plus metal box makes it about 500 pounds, not sure what it weighed before with 3/4" crushed stone.
    Of course I got the idea for the pvc pipe on this site, 1-4", 1-3" and 4-1.5" pipes, while I was doing it I was thinking maybe steel pipe would be better cause if one snaps off your stuck now that it's in concrete, I doubt the 3 or 4" will break, the 4" pipe will hold 4 long handled tools by it self.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    JD 4310; E hydro, 300CX, 48 BH, 60" box, 72" rake, 72" rear blade, cast pallet forks, 48", 61"HD & 73" high volume bucket.
    FORD 1700; 2 WD, 2600 hrs.
    JD 320; Hydra lift, 48" deck and 48" snow blade.
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500, Cummins 6.7L, Aisin 6 speed, 9ft utility body.

Default Re: Pix of concrete filled ballast box

Jb4310 , that looks great...
    I did the same thing , except i used cast iron pipes
    to try to keep as much weight as i could. and i ended up
    useing only 4 pipes. i thought that was enough for me.
    I like the way you painted it. you did a great job.
    here is a pic of mine. you can get some nice rubber matting
    from Home depot. to give it a nice touch. i find the pipes work good
    to hold my logging chains...

Chris...
    John Deere 2520 , R4's , 200CX loader with 61 inch bucket and JD Tooth Bar. And Markham 7 tooth. Tooth bar. 46 Backhoe with 16 inch bucket. with Custom made Street Flip pads off a 448 hoe. Foward work lights. Dual rear work lights. Heavy duty Alternator. I-Match , Ballast Box , Frontier BB2060 box blade , Frontier pallet Forks , JD 3 point reciever hitch. and soon A lot more.. and for grass cutting , John Deere GX 255 with 48 inch deck.

Tractor
    John Deere 3320

Great idea! Now I know what to do with mine.

One question/thought: Do you guys keep these things outside? If so, would water pool up on top or down the pipes, eventually rusting it out? Would some type of weep holes be a good idea? Am I over thinking this?

Thanks for the helpful post and photos.

Tractor
    JD 2210

JB,

Nice job! You'll notice a lot more stability with the concrete-filled box. I just wish I had thought of putting in the pipes before I filled mine!
    Cheers!

JDFANATIC

JD2210, 62" MMM, 210 FEL, 48" York Rake, 46" Snowthrower, loaded turfs, PTO Spreader, Heated Cab, Plug Aerator, FIMCO Sprayer, Folding Rops

Tractor
    JD 3120

Thats a great place to mount a tool box!

Malvern
    JD 3120 ehydro with 300CX, 72" 7 Iron MMM Land Pride RB-1572, Land Pride BB-1560, 2005 Yamaha Rhino.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_B
    Great idea! Now I know what to do with mine.

One question/thought: Do you guys keep these things outside? If so, would water pool up on top or down the pipes, eventually rusting it out? Would some type of weep holes be a good idea? Am I over thinking this?

Thanks for the helpful post and photos.
    Killer_B , I dont know about everyone else. but none of my attachments
    stays outside. there all in the garage... but my pipes are cast iron
    and i welded them in. and there are 5/16 holes drilled in the buttom under the pipe. so water can drain out.

Chris....
    John Deere 2520 , R4's , 200CX loader with 61 inch bucket and JD Tooth Bar. And Markham 7 tooth. Tooth bar. 46 Backhoe with 16 inch bucket. with Custom made Street Flip pads off a 448 hoe. Foward work lights. Dual rear work lights. Heavy duty Alternator. I-Match , Ballast Box , Frontier BB2060 box blade , Frontier pallet Forks , JD 3 point reciever hitch. and soon A lot more.. and for grass cutting , John Deere GX 255 with 48 inch deck.

Tractor
    J.D. 4310 E-hydro

Chris, I like the steel pipe, looks like 2"? I use mine for the long handled tools like rakes, shovels and brooms etc. but if I catch a limb with a tool the plastic will break, I've got every kind of tool for coring and boring concrete, being a drainage/waterproofing contractor, but it would be a bear to replace one of the pipes now, especially since I used 5000 PSI concrete! I had plenty of steel pipe around oh well didn't have a problem for the last 2 years with the plastic pipes set in stone.

Killer_B, mine is drained also.

JDFANATIC, you could core drill it, a 2" bit is just right for 1.5" pipe, it would be a PITA, you'd have to lay it down so you could drill horizontally.

Malvern, I am thinking about a tool box on the side, want to leave the center open.

How about this, a chainsaw scabbard set in the concrete for the guys who do alot of saw work, I only do a little right now and my small saw will fit in the 3" pipe.
    JD 4310; E hydro, 300CX, 48 BH, 60" box, 72" rake, 72" rear blade, cast pallet forks, 48", 61"HD & 73" high volume bucket.
    FORD 1700; 2 WD, 2600 hrs.
    JD 320; Hydra lift, 48" deck and 48" snow blade.
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500, Cummins 6.7L, Aisin 6 speed, 9ft utility body.

Banned
    Tractor
    jd4100, Cub Cadet 3204 & Cub 125

Quote Originally Posted by JDFANATIC
    JB,

Nice job! You'll notice a lot more stability with the concrete-filled box. I just wish I had thought of putting in the pipes before I filled mine!
    I always thought of the FEL as the handy carry all

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat

Boxes look real nice, how much do they way just curious.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JD2305

Depends on what you fill them with. Some people have (7) 80# bags of portland cement. Mine only is only filled 2/3 with clay soil (hard enough now that it might as well be cement). I plan on redoing that when it's cooler outside. I'll probably fill it with crushed stone...

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast