jd 4100 and 410 loader

/ jd 4100 and 410 loader #1  

texblonigan

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B7500
Has anybody heard any negatives about the 4100 JD with a 410 loader? Specifically, it looks like not much really holds the loader onto the brackets. The local JD dealer said that I should avoid the 4100 because he had had a few "problems" with them. He didn't go into details, but he hinted at the loader. This dealer does not have a 4100 on the lot, which makes me think he is trying to sell me a new 4000 TEN series, versus me going to another JD dealer for a leftover 4100.

/ jd 4100 and 410 loader #2  
I have had one for 3 years now. The only problem I have had with it is a wire that came loose from the seat cut-off switch. Dealer sent someone out at 3:00 on a Saturday to take care of it. Other than that, NO problems. Moved plenty of dirt, cleared brush, even made forks and a snow blade to attach. I've had the rear wheels off the ground (not recommended), all with no problems. If you want one, look for one. They are good little tractors, will do much more than you could ever imagine.

About 2 years ago, I got a warrenty part in the mail. It is an extra part that ensures the loader cannot come off. This may have been what the dealer was talking about. If you look closely at the way the loader hooks on, you will see that the rear brackets resist downward and rearward forces (no way the attachment can slip that way) and the front plate takes vertical force. I think some loaders may have poped off, and JD's fix was the new bracket. What caused the loaders to pop off would be an incorrect adjustment of the front plate. That plate is controlled by the handle on the loader and that handle screws in and out to hold the front plate snugly on the tractor front mount. If this mount was out of adjustment, ie. too much play, it could spring off. This warrenty part was a bracket that ensured that no matter how out of adjustment things are, the plate would be rigidly fixed to the mount.

Don't let this scare you. If you look at a loader, you will see what I am talking about. I don't use the bracket, I just check the play in the mount as part of my walk around inspection, while I am greasing things up and checking fluid. It sounds worse than it is, and anyone that takes care of thier tractor would never have it happen to them. Just figured you should know.

/ jd 4100 and 410 loader #3  
I have a 4100 with the 410 and have had the left mount "pop" off or come loose once. I attribute it to operator error. I remounted the FEL and have not had any real problems. Well, except for a male hydralic fitting that began to leak. Called the dealer and he sent a new one to me at no cost.

I've moved nearly 50 cubic yards of materials in the past year, if not more. Soil, stone, asphalt millings, reclaimed soil, boulders, trees, you name it!!. I purchased a toothbar and the amount of work that can be done with it is amazing. I have removed 4" trees and stumps. It's great for clearing brush, multiflora rose, vines, .... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif You get the picture.

Sounds like the dealer wants to get you into a newer model. What the heck!! Go for it...

Terry

/ jd 4100 and 410 loader #5  
forestcreature,

Can't remember the actual fabricater, but I got mine through K.C. Canary. JM III recommended them and that's who I dealt with. Very nice people.

Here is the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=jdown&Number=41683&Search=true&Forum=All_Forums&Words=Canary&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=50&Old=allposts&Main=40697>link</A> to the thread with the particulars.

Terry

/ jd 4100 and 410 loader #6  
On a related note, ... As I used my loader on Sunday, I noticed how the left side "tower" kind of dances around on the mounting bracket. It sways side-to-side at its resonant frequency due to the input to the tractor frame from the tire chains, best I can tell. I get the feeling the loader integrity could be greatly improved by adding a cross-link, between the tops of the two towers. I see a couple of holes there already (7/8" or 1" holes). Is there a J.D. part? Would there be any problem installing or removing the loader with a cross-link added? On full-size loaders for larger tractors, we always had or added a cross-link for stiffness. Simple flat metal (1/2" x 2") was all the link consisted of.

/ jd 4100 and 410 loader #7  
Jim,

Let me ask you a question about the left side of your FEL.

Does the left side seem lower than the right side? mine appears to be an 1" to 1 1/2" lower on the left side. This sometimes leads to the left side biting first. I haven't had the chance to try and loosen up some of the bolts to "level" the bucket.

Terry

/ jd 4100 and 410 loader #8  
I'm pretty sure the holes are there for access to the grease zerk for the lift cylinder (your talking at the top, right?).

I don't notice any sidesway with mine, but I don't run chains either.

/ jd 4100 and 410 loader #9  
Haven't noticed any difference in the height of the two towers, but will start to look or measure. If you're talking about the bucket itself, then yea there seems to be some welding distortion in it making one side different than the other, showing up as difficulty inserting the linch pin on the right side. I will start to measure things before making any changes, and write back if I see something.

/ jd 4100 and 410 loader #10  
Yea, there are holes in the top of the arms for access to the zerks. But the holes I am thinking of are in the vertical rear-face of the towers. From the operators seat, I am looking right into these holes, a couple inches down from the top of the towers. A cross-member attached here would be a few inches above the fuel cap.