Broadcast Spreader

/ Broadcast Spreader #1  

JDTRAC

Tractor
JD 2305
I need a broadcast spreader to handle annual overseeding and fertilizing/herbicide (2-3 times/year) on approx 3 acres. I have a walk-behind Earthway spreader, but getting a little tired out from all the walking. I would like a spreader to use with my JD 2305. My JD dealer tells me that the "pull-type" ground driven spreader with JD label is too small for the 2305 and may have tend to flip over, if not careful. That they are made for the lawn/garden tractor series. The dealer is recommending me to consider the Frontier PTO-Driven model SS1023B for my 2305. This is the model with 226 lb capacity and, I believe, has a 20 foot spread distance. Purchase price is really not a factor with me, just functionality.

Has anyone used the Frontier PTO-Driven Spreader? Is this too large for my area (ie. overkill)? The dealer also said he would operate this as a "continuous" spreader. In other words, don't shutoff at end rows, but try to keep going during application.

Thanks for feedback.

/ Broadcast Spreader #2  
JDTRAC said:
I need a broadcast spreader to handle annual overseeding and fertilizing/herbicide (2-3 times/year) on approx 3 acres. I have a walk-behind Earthway spreader, but getting a little tired out from all the walking. I would like a spreader to use with my JD 2305. My JD dealer tells me that the "pull-type" ground driven spreader with JD label is too small for the 2305 and may have tend to flip over, if not careful. That they are made for the lawn/garden tractor series. The dealer is recommending me to consider the Frontier PTO-Driven model SS1023B for my 2305. This is the model with 226 lb capacity and, I believe, has a 20 foot spread distance. Purchase price is really not a factor with me, just functionality.

Has anyone used the Frontier PTO-Driven Spreader? Is this too large for my area (ie. overkill)? The dealer also said he would operate this as a "continuous" spreader. In other words, don't shutoff at end rows, but try to keep going during application.

Thanks for feedback.

I don't think that is too large for 3 acres, I think it would take an awful long time with a pull type spreader like you mentioned.

If you are worried about over spread you can throttle down a bit and it won't spread so far.

I am not sure about not shutting off at the ends of rows though. On our spreader we have a hydraulic cylinder that cuts off flow so you can leave the PTO on. I thought that most spreaders had a string to pull to turn the flow on and off?

If you left it on all the time, I think you will get a lot of over spread :confused:

/ Broadcast Spreader
Grrrr,

Thanks for your comments and advice, it helps.

One significant point I failed to include in my original post (for others reading this thread) is that the Frontier SS1023B is a "3-point hitch" PTO-driven spreader. The 3ph will be more stable for my 2305 vs a pull-type. Particularily since I can't reach down to the drawbar and shut off the spreader at end of rows. However, JD tells me this Frontier 3ph model cannot be used with my I-match hitch. I don't believe that's a show stopper as I believe removing the I-match isn't too tough. Thanks again.

/ Broadcast Spreader #4  
jdtrac,

I use a Lienbach 300# pto spreader with my 2210 and it works great. There is a control lever you can reach from the seat to open/shut the gate. I'd be surprised if the Frontier model didn't have one too.

/ Broadcast Spreader #5  
I use a cone style spreader for all my 20-70 hp tractors.. same one fits all of them fine.

Soundguy

JDTRAC said:

Thanks for feedback.

Attachments

• i3137.jpg
    i3137.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 904
   / Broadcast Spreader #6  
I'd have to agree with these guys - any pto driven, 3ph attached spreader should work well for you. Can't speak for the iMatch (when did Apple start making JD implements?), but you should have a problem finding something that will work (or can be easily modified to work). And probably at less cost than a Frontier, too!

/ Broadcast Spreader #7  
Just my $.02 worth.

I DESPISE pull type spreaders like the one you are referring too. They have a severe problem on ground that is not perfectly smooth. You get uneven spread when the spreader hits a bump and the wheels lose contact with the ground. I prefer the electric drive spreader that i have attached to my Grizzly. I have never had problems with it...just a little finaky when it comes to opening the door. But I wouldn't trade it for another pull type if you paid me!!!

/ Broadcast Spreader
Appreciate all the excellent responses....

I do have a couple follow-up questions:

1) Given the Frontier 3ph PTO model I am looking at has a 46 ft spread distance, would this be a problem (ie. tendency for overspreading of seed or fertilizer) in tight areas such as a grove of several trees (150 wide by 400 foot long) or near buildings or house?? I can certainly see benefit in wide open property (which part of my land is). However, wanted to get some additional thoughts.

2) Is 3 acres large enough to warrant this model? What size of property do most of you use your spreaders on? Again, my goal is to minimize alot of walking and pushing of a spreader such as the Earthway model I have.

Thanks again.

/ Broadcast Spreader #9  
JDTRAC said:
Appreciate all the excellent responses....

I do have a couple follow-up questions:

1) Given the Frontier 3ph PTO model I am looking at has a 46 ft spread distance, would this be a problem (ie. tendency for overspreading of seed or fertilizer) in tight areas such as a grove of several trees (150 wide by 400 foot long) or near buildings or house?? I can certainly see benefit in wide open property (which part of my land is). However, wanted to get some additional thoughts.

2) Is 3 acres large enough to warrant this model? What size of property do most of you use your spreaders on? Again, my goal is to minimize alot of walking and pushing of a spreader such as the Earthway model I have.

Thanks again.
46' will be at full PTO speed -- maybe. Irregardless of what spreader you pick, you will most certainly minimize the walking and pushing you describe.

/ Broadcast Spreader #10  
I can verify the tendentcy for tow behind models to tip over on anything but level ground! I've got two large fertilizer burn spots to prove it. Check out Herd seeder/spreaders too. They use a nice flexible shaft for the PTO. I'll be getting one in the next few weeks.