5x03 collar shift question

/ 5x03 collar shift question #1  

smgriffin

Tractor
Kubota M125X, JD 5425
I have a 2006 JD 5303. I have noticed that when I bush hog and have to put the tractor in reverse to get in tight places the gears usually grind even though I have stopped completely before changing to reverse. Is this related to having a collar shift transmission. It appears to happen only when I am running the PTO.

Thanks!

/ 5x03 collar shift question #2  
If the engine is still "winding down", or if you leave the throttle open, it'll grind. None of the gears, forward or reverse, are synchronized (AFAIK). You might avoid it if you "double-clutch"; that is, throw it in neutral from your forward gear, release the clutch, floor the clutch again, and it should slip into reverse more smoothly. Or, if you're leaving the hand throttle open, try pulling it down to idle before shifting.

/ 5x03 collar shift question #3  
I do the same thing when I get tired or in too big a hurry. Just gotta let er wind down like the fella said.

/ 5x03 collar shift question #4  
I do the same thing when I get tired or in too big a hurry. Just gotta let er wind down like the fella said.

That is the one thing I HATE about my tractor! I got a feeling the trans gears are not going to last that long on mine.