JD 855 Rear wheel dragging.

/ JD 855 Rear wheel dragging. #1  

855Idiot

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 855
I was playing around on the lawn this weekend.
Went down a slight hill half on concrete half on grass.
Was in low range just idling down the hill.

One of the rear wheels locked and made a mess of my grass and concrete.
The wheel just didn't want to move, it was happy dragging along.
I stepped down on the diff lock to force it to move but I was a bit disappointed it locked up like that?
It quit misbehaving a bit later...

Did I do something wrong?
Is this common/normal?
Is my diff about to blowup?
Searched the board here but didn't find anything?

Thanks,
Glenn

/ JD 855 Rear wheel dragging. #2  
It is just the nature of the beast. When going down anything steep, put it in 4wd and that will take care of the problem. Also, putting the differential lock on while the tractor is moving can break it.

/ JD 855 Rear wheel dragging. #3  
Let me see if I understand this...
You were driving down a slope...one tire on concrete, the other on grass..is that correct?
One tire stopped turning...which one? It sounds like the one on the grass...is that correct?

I could understand one wheel stopping if you lost traction going up that slope, but it just doesn't sound right going down slope.

One more question...were you using your brakes when driving down? If so, were the pedals locked together?

/ JD 855 Rear wheel dragging.
Right side on concrete.
Left side started on grass then went to concrete.
Left side locked and messed the grass and left dirt & rubber on the concrete.
Reversing didn't unlock the wheel.
Not using any brakes at the time.
Lightly using forward pedal to go slow down a mild hill.

I didn't use the diff lock in motion but, how is the diff lock used/properly applied & released so not hurt the machine?

I have no tractor experience and I'm currently trying to acquire a manual.:eek:

...boy these things have personality...
Thanks,
Glenn

/ JD 855 Rear wheel dragging. #5  
That left rear wheel should not have locked up.
As to the cause...well, I'm not a hydro guy so I can't help you. I do think you should get that tractor to a dealer soon...before any serious damage.
Before you go to a dealer...try driving down the same route...see if this repeats itself.
If it doesn't...might have been a fluke (WAG on my part). If it does repeat...definitely call a dealer.

As far as using a differential lock, this is what my (790) manual states:

Using Differential Lock
CAUTION: Avoid injury! Driving at high speeds with the traction assist engaged may result in loss of steering control. Do not engage traction assist or turn with the traction assist engaged while operating machine at high speeds or on slopes.

The differential lock is used to provide better traction when rear wheels start to slip. Engaging differential lock will lock right and left side rear axles together and cause both rear wheels to turn at equal speeds for maximum traction.

IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! Using the traction assist function improperly can damage the transaxle:

· Reduce speed and allow drive wheels to rotate at same speed before engaging or disengaging traction assist.

· Disengage traction assist when driving on dry asphalt or concrete.

· Use traction assist only when necessary for improved ground engagement.

NOTE: Turning radius is increased when differential lock is engaged. To assist turning, release differential lock and use turn brake pedals.

Engage Differential Lock:
1. Stop or slow machine movement.

NOTE: Differential lock will remain engaged as long as rear wheel slippage occurs. If tires slip and regain traction repeatedly, hold down pedal with foot so differential lock remains engaged.

2. Push down on differential lock lever (A).

Disengage Differential Lock:
1. Remove foot from differential lock lever.

NOTE: Rear wheel slippage will keep differential lock engaged. Lock will automatically disengage when traction equalizes.

2. If lock does not disengage, depress one turn brake pedal, and then the other.

When one of my wheels stops or slips due to a loss of traction, I take my foot off the throttle and depress the differential lock. Once engaged, I remove my foot from the lock and increase RPM (using the 790's foot or hand throttle). When I say "one wheel stops", this does not mean lock up!

Last edited:
   / JD 855 Rear wheel dragging. #6  
Since that tractor has a diffy ( right? ) I'm surprised that one wheel locked, with no brake applied.

Soundguy

/ JD 855 Rear wheel dragging. #7  
A couple of things come to mind here. If you don't hear any noises from the differential, I doubt you have problems there. If you have your loader on and going down hill, the weight transfer takes alot of weight off the rear especially if you had a load in the bucket. If there is a sideways incline as well as front downhill, The wheel on the upper side could have simply lost traction. Do you have rear ballast? I have run across some machines that have liquid ballast in one rear wheel and not the other. That can definitely cause traction issues. You may simply need to add rear ballast. Lastly, you could have one brake dragging that would cause the wheel to slide in limited traction situations. Try jacking up the rear of the tractor and put your range lever in neutral. You should be able to rotate both rear wheels freely.

/ JD 855 Rear wheel dragging. #8  
Definately look at your ballast setup, that could be
all that was causing this.
if your hydro pedal was just slightly pushed, you may not
have had the hydro going as fast as the tractor wanted
to go down the hill... so in effect, the hydro was trying
to brake the tractor, and the wheel with least traction slowed
or stopped. was the tractor in 4wd? that may help
in a situation like this, to keep all the wheels moving at the same
speed.
you may find that a little more pedal, and the hydro will keep up
with the tractor's momentum down the slope.

let us know if you have any other quirks with the tractor.,
but like others have said, it may just be normal.

:D

/ JD 855 Rear wheel dragging.
Ok, I decided to recreate the scene of the crime:cool:

Last night, I put the tractor in the same place at the same speed as before...

...nothing happend, it went down the hill as it should have, no dragging, no misbehaving, no nothing.

The tire that locked last time was the inside, up hill tire so simply loosing traction makes some sense. Fortunately it didn't want to repeat the problem so...

I'm thinking it's misbehavior was a fluke.:confused:

I'd like to try and see if the rear wheels will spin freely while jacked up in neutral. For some reason I was thinking a hydro tranny, would not allow the wheels should spin freely?

It seems to me that the rear brakes are extremely tight, I hear a groan every time I start to move. It sounds like the brakes having a little battle with the tranny. This is only a start and stop noise.

Thanks,

Last edited:
   / JD 855 Rear wheel dragging. #10  
see if you have a break dragging..

Soundguy