installing . removing front snowblower- long process?

/ installing . removing front snowblower- long process? #1  

purpony

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2440/JD 3020/JD 314/JD 345/JD 850/JD 2320
I am looking into either a plow or snowblower for my 2320. I want either going o make or purchase a curtis plow for my FEL with quick connects so i could go back and forth between my blade and bucket for the winter....

then i got thinking of maybe getting a snowblower instead... my main concern about the snowblower is it being a pain in the butt to hookup and unhook everytime i need my bucket or pallet forks for moving firewood.....

so my main question is, how long does it take you to install and uninstall your snowblower on your newer john deere? The guy i work with has a kubota 2200 with a blower and he makes it out to be a huge project and once the blower is installed for the winter it never comes off....

was wanting to here from users... thanks

/ installing . removing front snowblower- long process? #2  
I have a 755. It is a pain in the butt to swap...So I leave it on all winter and use my 4700 for the loader if I need it. I realize a luxury having two tractors.

I say a newer machine that had a quick disconnect setup on the front.. I think it was a 2000 series machine.

/ installing . removing front snowblower- long process? #3  
You may want to consider a rear 3 pt hitch snowblower if you want to keep the option of quickly/easily putting on the FEL with bucket or Curtis plow.

/ installing . removing front snowblower- long process? #4  
I think it's pretty easy on the new machines. The last time I checked, JD had a short video showing them connecting a front-mount broom with the same front-hitch that is used to hook up the snow blower. It was quick. You might also consider 3-point forks or a rear-pull snowblower. Erskine makes one, but theirs might be too large.

/ installing . removing front snowblower- long process? #5  
Purpony....
It's not difficult or to time consuming. I had one on my 2520 that took a little longer than my 2305 only because I had an additional attaching part required. I don't believe you'll need that for your 2320. You see a lot more snow than I do and I won't be without a front blower again. :)

/ installing . removing front snowblower- long process? #6  
purpony,

Though the Deere quick-tach attachments are really well engineered, to change from a blower to a FEL isn't quite the same as just taking off and putting on your loader. A blower will have the blower unit, the hitch, a driveshaft (and I'm not sure on the 2320, but maybe even an intermediate hitch). As you can already tell, there are more components than on just the FEL. If you store your tractors inside, I would be more inclined to suggest a quicker changeover, but if you had to frequently do this outdoors, I would be thinking about a combo FEL/plow, or outfitting one of your other tractors for the snow removal and another for the loader work.

Not sure what part of CT you are in, but I'd suggest you stop by a dealer (I use Farmington Valley Equipment) and try going through the attachment/detachment and see if it is something that works for you.

/ installing . removing front snowblower- long process?
Thanks all for the info. The tractor is stored inside at all times. I was told though by a dealer that the snowblower frame can be left on while using the FEL.. is this true?

I have visited Farmington Valley but was very disappointed with their sales department. I have been dealing with both Stanton Equipment in Plainfield and DH Marvins in Colchester. I talked to DH but they didnt have any in stock. I am going to talk with Stanton, i would like to see a unit in person.

/ installing . removing front snowblower- long process? #8  
purpony,

Hmm, FVE has treated me like gold. They also have about as good stock/inventory as you can expect. I've heard good things about Marvin's. Stanton's I don't know about.

Anyway, I don't know if the frame can stay on the 2320 at the same time as the FEL, but on my 2210 it cannot--which is the reason I try to swap between the two in the winter as little as possible.

/ installing . removing front snowblower- long process? #9  
I can switch from FEL to snow blower in 20 even paced minutes (for a 50YO with an aching back) with a few caveats

- 20 minutes does not include the time to attach/re-arrange stand offs needed for hose/cable routing.
- Have to get under the tractor to attach/detach the PTO shaft. If floor is wet, icy, snowy slushy this isn't a task you'd want to do immediately.

This in on a 4110 where an intermediate hitch has to be swapped out (Unique for blower/sweeper quick hitch). FEL won't fit with this and those stand offs mentioned above left on.

Not 100% sure, but believe there was at one time a conflict with the MMM adapter and the snow blower intermed hitch assembly---i.e one would have to come off before the other went on. Don't know if that still exists???? If you don't mow with your set up it wouldn't be a concern.

BTW, blower works fine---used it in 22 in deep stuff---posted pics a few years back.

/ installing . removing front snowblower- long process? #10  
Purpony,
I recently purchased a 3320 and had the dealer install the JD front quick hitch for the 59" snowblower that I also purchased. While I have yet to use it for snow, they ran through it with me how to put it on and take off. With the front quick hitch it is a piece of cake, and easily takes less than 5 minutes to do. I actually think that the snowblower goes on and off much more quickly than the FEL.

They had to install a mid-pto on the tractor, and a small pto shaft runs from the mid to the front of the tractor, and then another shaft connects to the blower. You just drive up to the rear of the blower so that the quick hitch sits inside the female part of the quick hitch on the blower,connect your two front hydraulic hoses for the quick hitch and the snow shoot, pick up the blower, attach the pto shaft in the front, and you're ready to go. Forward and back with your joystick will raise and lower it, and left and right will aim the snow shoot left or right. It's real slick. I can't wait to try it out this winter! The FEL goes on and off with no problem either. You just leave the front quick hitch on the tractor all the time.

One issue though, is that you lose the ability to put the 5 suitcase weights on the front weight bracket if you have front weights for ballast when using your rear implements. You can only use 3 weights because the quick hitch is in the way. Mike57