3720 Vertical Exhaust??

/ 3720 Vertical Exhaust?? #1  

sunnyside360

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 3720, JD 4320, JD 835R, Kubota M4D-071, Kubota ZD1511
I have been considering the vertical exhaust kit for my JD 3720 w/cab -- just to look more like a tractor. But, what are the advantages of a vertical exhaust vs the standard horizontal exhaust? Thanks in advance.

/ 3720 Vertical Exhaust?? #2  
Pro: Keep any sparks off the ground
Negative: More noise near your face, more smoke near your face, rain down the pipe, Can you open the hood with it in

/ 3720 Vertical Exhaust??
Flywheel said:
Pro: Keep any sparks off the ground
Negative: More noise near your face, more smoke near your face, rain down the pipe, Can you open the hood with it in
Thanks, Flywheel. All good points. Think I'll stay with the standard horizontal exhaust. I understand you must detach the upper section of exhaust pipe prior to lifting the hood.

/ 3720 Vertical Exhaust?? #4  
The noise is not noticeable between them. IMHO, the biggest advantages of the vertical exhaust is 1. Don't get soot on the FEL/tractor with vertical exhaust. 2. Exhaust fumes are much worse when working on the ground near the front of the tractor or FEL with horizontal exhaust. 3. It just looks cool! The exhaust fumes are not bad when vertical. The exhaust can be directed to the side or front.

The biggest negatives for vertical exhaust is the cost and having to remove the pipe to lift hood.

radman1 said:
The noise is not noticeable between them. IMHO, the biggest advantages of the vertical exhaust is 1. Don't get soot on the FEL/tractor with vertical exhaust. 2. Exhaust fumes are much worse when working on the ground near the front of the tractor or FEL with horizontal exhaust. 3. It just looks cool! The exhaust fumes are not bad when vertical. The exhaust can be directed to the side or front.

The biggest negatives for vertical exhaust is the cost and having to remove the pipe to lift hood.
Thanks Radman for your take on it. All good points for verticle exhaust. If memory serves me right, you have a 3720 Cab --- do you have the verticle exhaust??

/ 3720 Vertical Exhaust?? #6  
sunnyside360 said:
Thanks Radman for your take on it. All good points for verticle exhaust. If memory serves me right, you have a 3720 Cab --- do you have the verticle exhaust??
Yes, I have the vertical exhaust on a 3270 cab.

/ 3720 Vertical Exhaust?? #7  
Every once in a while I a see a post like this where someone wants to change to a vertical exhaust to make their tractor "look more like a tractor". I have a horizonal exhaust but IMHO my tractor still looks like a tractor. You would never mistake it for a car, SUV, bus or an airplane.

My dad used to have an old David Brown tractor with vertical exhaust. You would get more noise from it but worse you would get the exhaust in your face because the top of the stack was about at head level. Now if you always drove in reverse it wouldn't be a problem. The other problem would be tree limbs. Every once in a while while mowing near some tree you might hit the vertical exhaust on a tree limb. Of course it always served as a good warning because if you kept going you'd get a tree limb in your face. Pretty much this problem was from working in tight areas with trees where you had to rock back and forth to get into tight areas.

When I bought my JD 5320 I made sure I got it with a horizonal exhaust. I don't have a problem with setting things on fire as I'm not working that type of crop/field. You will however get some exhaust if the tractor is running and you are messing with your 3-point implement.

ClemBert said:
Every once in a while I a see a post like this where someone wants to change to a vertical exhaust to make their tractor "look more like a tractor". I have a horizonal exhaust but IMHO my tractor still looks like a tractor. You would never mistake it for a car, SUV, bus or an airplane.

My dad used to have an old David Brown tractor with vertical exhaust. You would get more noise from it but worse you would get the exhaust in your face because the top of the stack was about at head level. Now if you always drove in reverse it wouldn't be a problem. The other problem would be tree limbs. Every once in a while while mowing near some tree you might hit the vertical exhaust on a tree limb. Of course it always served as a good warning because if you kept going you'd get a tree limb in your face. Pretty much this problem was from working in tight areas with trees where you had to rock back and forth to get into tight areas.

When I bought my JD 5320 I made sure I got it with a horizontal exhaust. I don't have a problem with setting things on fire as I'm not working that type of crop/field. You will however get some exhaust if the tractor is running and you are messing with your 3-point implement.

Thanks Clembert for your thoughts on the subject. The 3720 horizontal exhaust comes out the front so not much in the way of smoke/fumes in the face. I'll probably just stay with the horizontal exhaust until if/when the vertical would be more beneficial.
Thanks again to all for your responses.

/ 3720 Vertical Exhaust?? #9  
Sunnyside, I changed over to the vertical exhaust on my 3520/cab tractor for a couple of reasons. I didn't like the exhaust in my face with the horizontal exhaust when I was getting anything out of the bucket by hand. Another reason was when mowing or working on dry dirt or a dry stone road in dry conditions the horizontal would stir up a lot of dust and debris. Not a problem for my lungs with the cab tractor,but that extra dust is being sucked into the tractor's air cleaner and cab filter.
The horizontal also made the tall grass move next to where it exited and gave me the illusion when caught out of my peripheral vision that something was being hit with the front tire causing it to move. Something was moving where it wasn't supposed to be moving. I didn't like that feeling.

All in all I'm satisfied with changing over to the vertical exhaust. The cons to it are cost, having to remove it to lift the hood and I just had mine get stuck on because of some rust. The install takes less than half an hour.

Sincerely, Dirt

dirtworksequip said:
Sunnyside, I changed over to the vertical exhaust on my 3520/cab tractor for a couple of reasons. I didn't like the exhaust in my face with the horizontal exhaust when I was getting anything out of the bucket by hand. Another reason was when mowing or working on dry dirt or a dry stone road in dry conditions the horizontal would stir up a lot of dust and debris. Not a problem for my lungs with the cab tractor,but that extra dust is being sucked into the tractor's air cleaner and cab filter.
The horizontal also made the tall grass move next to where it exited and gave me the illusion when caught out of my peripheral vision that something was being hit with the front tire causing it to move. Something was moving where it wasn't supposed to be moving. I didn't like that feeling.

All in all I'm satisfied with changing over to the vertical exhaust. The cons to it are cost, having to remove it to lift the hood and I just had mine get stuck on because of some rust. The install takes less than half an hour.

Sincerely, Dirt

Thanks Dirt for your response. All good input. I'm undecided as to what to do and will probably wait a bit longer.
Sunnyside