Difference of the 2 types of R4s for 3xseries?

/ Difference of the 2 types of R4s for 3xseries? #1  

Engine66

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2305 & 4720/400cx/BH448
I see on the JD website that there are 2 different types of R4s offered. One set is under $200 and the other is almost $400...both are different sizes. The brochure shows the "half-moon" style tread and I imagine the other is the same as on the other JD series tractors? Anyone know the difference? How's the performance of the "half-moon" style tread and what's the ground clearance on the 3xseries? Thanks for the info.

/ Difference of the 2 types of R4s for 3xseries? #2  
I think the smaller rears are 6 ply. The larger rears are 4 ply. I went with the larger size and so far am happy. JC

/ Difference of the 2 types of R4s for 3xseries? #3  
I went with the smaller R4s and purchased in May 2007. I don't know if the tread has changed since then, but I have no traction problems.

Reasons:
1) 6 ply versus 4 ply
2) According to the John Deere Manual, you can put chains on the smaller R4s, but not on the larger R4s.
3) $150 cheaper.

The smaller ones are 2 inches shorter, giving 1 inch less of ground clearance. This also lower the center of gravity by roughly an 1 inch. The larger R4s look more beastly.

Here is a picture of our tractor so you can see the R4s.
MrGreenManTBN.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

/ Difference of the 2 types of R4s for 3xseries?
Putt Putt,

That's a nice looking set-up! I noticed the toothbar, HD bucket, brush guard, light guards, etc...looks like you do some brush work. Can you tell me what your ground clearence is and if the R1s are the same size as your R4s or the other sized R4s? How's traction been with your R4s? Also, you chose the 300cx loader...happy with it over the 300x? Take care...thanks.

/ Difference of the 2 types of R4s for 3xseries? #5  
Engine 66,

Don't forget, turf tires are babe magnets.

/ Difference of the 2 types of R4s for 3xseries? #6  
That's a nice looking set-up! I noticed the toothbar, HD bucket, brush guard, light guards, etc...looks like you do some brush work. Can you tell me what your ground clearence is and if the R1s are the same size as your R4s or the other sized R4s? How's traction been with your R4s? Also, you chose the 300cx loader...happy with it over the 300x?

Engine66,

Thanks for the complementing my tractor. I haven't done very much brush work, other than get rid of some evasive bush thats growing in my weeds. I think the upgraded front grill just looks really good. The tractor has not been in the woods yet.

I haven't had any traction problems with my loaded R4 tires. I pulled a 2 bottom plow through blue clay with no problems on dry ground. I'm definitely happy with my tire selection. I switched to the smaller R4s at the last moment when ordering the tractor. I believe the R1s are close to the same size as my smaller R4s, but not sure.

I would definitely go with the 300cx over the 300 and get the HD bucket. This gives you the option to add a tooth bar later.

The lights are nice for night driving. Higher would be better though.

I'll try to get you some information out of the manual and post a reply tomorrow, if I remember.

/ Difference of the 2 types of R4s for 3xseries? #7  
These are the rated speeds according to my owners manual.

Small R4 17.3 mph
Large R4 18.2 mph
R1 19 mph

One should get more speed with larger around tires. So it looks like the R1 give about 1 inch more of ground clearance over the larger R4s and 2 inches of ground clearance over the smaller R4s.

/ Difference of the 2 types of R4s for 3xseries?
Putt, Putt...thanks for the info...and agaijn, very nice set-up!

/ Difference of the 2 types of R4s for 3xseries? #9  
I think the large R4's look better. but the small ones may be more
stable , as it would be lower to the ground. only thing is.
I saw a 3320 with small R4's and a 448 hoe. and from the back
it dont look like there is enough ground clearance if you go
in the woods.

Chris.....:)

/ Difference of the 2 types of R4s for 3xseries? #10  
Chris, I didn't think of that when I bought my tractor. Maybe its a good thing I didn't get the 448 hoe then. The clearance for the 447 hoe is not real great either. My mobile base for the hoe is around 5 inches tall and probably clears under the hoe about 2-3 inches, so that would be about 7 inches of clearance. Whats the clearance on the 2520 hoe?