3-Point Hitch 4110 3-point hitch won't lower

/ 4110 3-point hitch won't lower #1  

Koby

Tractor
JD 4110 HST
My three point hitch won't lower. It lifted the ballast box fine, but won't return. I've already tried the flow control valve.
After sitting for a while in the raised position, with the tractor off, the hitch will drop some. Once I start the tractor, I can fully lift the hitch again. So my lift control works, but lower does not.
Any ideas before I hand it over to the dealer?
Thanks!!

/ 4110 3-point hitch won't lower #2  
Have you tried the dial right under the the seat the controls the rate of descent for the 3pt hitch? Some times this can get closed so far it appears the hitch won't go down.
It should have arrrows that say open/close. Spin it towards open and see of it makes a difference.

/ 4110 3-point hitch won't lower
Thanks for the reply, but that's what I meant by "flow control valve". Already tried it, no results.

/ 4110 3-point hitch won't lower #4  
Dubious... That thing lowers by gravity. Any chance someone 'modified' the flow valve, thus making you think it's open? (Now that would be a cool joke!! :) ) Otherwise, check all of the hydraulic connections between the valve and oil tank, something is not allowing the oil to return to the tank.

/ 4110 3-point hitch won't lower #5  
Koby,

I have read of similar problems on the 3X20 series. Some of those problems were solved by turning the flow control valve all the way open and closed a couple of times. The threory is that a piece of debris becomes lodged in the valve.

Let us know how it turns out.

/ 4110 3-point hitch won't lower #6  
Killer_B said:
Koby,

I have read of similar problems on the 3X20 series. Some of those problems were solved by turning the flow control valve all the way open and closed a couple of times. The threory is that a piece of debris becomes lodged in the valve.

Let us know how it turns out.

I agree, the problem likely is with the rate of drop control, I will look in my service manual later and see if I can help you...

Thanks guys.
I am the original owner, it has never been modified.
I had already tried opening and closing the valve repeatedly without results.
Today, I removed the whole valve assembly. There is a spring loaded piston at the rear of the valve that is compressed when the rocker arm lever is raised, and springs back out when lowered. This piston is supposed to push on the rocker arm control linkage, allowing the hitch to lower. It seems that this piston was not returning, and therefore not pushing the linkage.
Now that the assy. is removed, the piston moves freely. Incidently, there was a buildup of pressure, and oil sprayed out when I removed the valve. At the same time, the hitch dropped.
Now, I don't want to just re-install it, 'cause it was a PITA to remove. I'd like to somehow confirm that it is working first. It was probably just a piece of debris, but maybe not.
Any further thoughts with this new information?
Thanks again.

/ 4110 3-point hitch won't lower #8  
Koby,

Any chance you could post some pics of the area with the valve removed and the valve itself?

KB

Well, for anyone wondering about this....
I turned my rig over to the dealer, as this was over my head. The problem was a faulty spring inside the spool valve.
Pictures would not have helped at all, the problem was inside the valve assy.
According to my dealer, individual parts for the valve are not available, and the complete valve runs around $700. They were able to repair the valve with a good used spring. My only cost was labor.
Now I can hook up my snowblower.....Let it snow!!!!!
Thanks for trying to help out.