Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE

Default Hydraulic filter change on 5105

It's time to change the hydraulic filter on my 5105. The filter and its replacement is a big spin-on the size of a coffee can, and is mounted to the left and below the seat. The instructions seem to indicate only hand tightening the new one, but I can't get the old one off by hand, and my current filter wrench isn't big enough (I will be buying a bigger strap wrench ASAP). Is this level of tighness typical? (Tractor is just over 100 hours.)

Separately, while it is basically a spin-on can filter, it appears that the gasket is NOT permanently attached to the filter (the way that an oil filter gasket normally is) and instead the package with the filter has what appears to be a giant O-ring the size that would fit just inside the filter rim. Am I correct in thinking that this is a gasket that I need to put just inside the filter rim before installing the filter? Is it that simple or are there any tricks to it?

Finally, on a related note, I changed the oil today and found that the original oil filter was on really, really tight - I had a hard time budging it with my strap type filter wrench, and dented the can more than 1/2" before it started to move. Is this also normal?

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 5205 JD 5203 Ford 3600 JD 850 JD 755 Kioti DK65

Default Re: Hydraulic filter change on 5105

It was tight on my 5205 when I changed it. My dealer had a strap wrench the right size for less than $10.00. I had to put some muscle behind it but it gave in eventually.
    Greg

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 1520

take some grease and cover the o ring pretty heavely to stick it to the filter. Dont tighten the filter any more than it says on the side of the filter or it will be a bear to get off the next time. it may seam loose but it will be fine.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE

Thanks.

Tractor
    JD 4610 ehydro MFWD

These work real good for those big filters.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 3320

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Michigan
    It's time to change the hydraulic filter on my 5105. The filter and its replacement is a big spin-on the size of a coffee can, and is mounted to the left and below the seat. The instructions seem to indicate only hand tightening the new one, but I can't get the old one off by hand, and my current filter wrench isn't big enough (I will be buying a bigger strap wrench ASAP). Is this level of tighness typical? (Tractor is just over 100 hours.)
    On my 3320 the hydraulic filter cap is 4.5" in diameter. I got a large band wrench at VIP auto designed for Cummins/Detroit filters which worked. A standard oil filter wrench will not do it. My filter case was on very tight, the big band wrench just barely got it off.
    JD 3320 eHydro, 300cx FEL; HD '95 FXDS; '04 Ram 2500 plow truck, 2012 Toyota Tundra