New Chipper on the Way HELP

/ New Chipper on the Way HELP #1  

blackbird

Ok I couldn't take it anymore. Just orderd the Bear Cat 73554 for my 2520. 50 acres of trees, trees and more trees. My question is what does everybody do with all the wood chips? If I don't come up with a good use for the chips by the time the chipper gets here my wife will give me that "not another **** toy" look. Its not a toy women, it produces chips that can be used for____________ please help me fill in the blanks.

thanks guys

chris

/ New Chipper on the Way HELP #2  
I hope your wife has flower beds to put it in. If not, you will be making some next spring. I also spread it around trees in the yard to cut down on the weed trimming. JC

/ New Chipper on the Way HELP #3  
Tell her you've gone Green and are starting a bio-mass business.

/ New Chipper on the Way HELP #4  
Start out by mulching the beds around the house. Then mulch all the outlying flower beds and the vegetable garden. Then build mulch rings around all the trees in the yard. If you still have chips left, start composting them. Mulch builds soil and conserves water. There's nothing better you can do for your bedding plants.

/ New Chipper on the Way HELP #5  
I chip my tree prunings and also steal about 100-150 bags of leaves that those silly town people put out at the curb and run them through my chipper/shredder. I mulch my veggie garden rows, shrubs, trees and various other garden beds with my pile. My wife and I collect our non-meat kitchen scraps. I dig little holes into the mulch pile and put these scraps into the hole and then cover it up. The worms turn it into compost that just becomes part of the pile.

Shreddings can also be put on mud and work near as well as gravel, at least for a while. Once the shreddings compost a bit, you can just broadcast them over your grass to fertilize it.

Ralph

/ New Chipper on the Way HELP #6  
Do you or any of your neighbors have horse? Horse owners use wood chips (aka hog's fuel) as footing for paddocks and arenas. You might even be able to sell it to them! I don't about where you live, but around here hog's fuel has been in tight supply and expensive.

/ New Chipper on the Way HELP #7  
blackbird said:
Ok I couldn't take it anymore. Just orderd the Bear Cat 73554 for my 2520. 50 acres of trees, trees and more trees. My question is what does everybody do with all the wood chips? If I don't come up with a good use for the chips by the time the chipper gets here my wife will give me that "not another **** toy" look. Its not a toy women, it produces chips that can be used for____________ please help me fill in the blanks.

thanks guys

chris

You are going to love the 73554. Order some extra blades for it now.

As far as the wife goes - you will figure it out. Worse case - just move the tractor enough to spread the mess out. :)

D.

/ New Chipper on the Way HELP #8  
Mulch, compost, biodegradable walking paths, and very soon household heat.
Biomizer

They're testing it now for use with chips 3/4in and smaller.

/ New Chipper on the Way HELP #9  
flyngti said:
Do you or any of your neighbors have horse? Horse owners use wood chips (aka hog's fuel) as footing for paddocks and arenas.

If you try this you must be absolutely confident about what species of trees you are chipping. Horses don't do well with certain types (eg. walnut, I think)

Cliff

/ New Chipper on the Way HELP #10  
i think woodchips are easy to get rid of. everybody seems to want them for something. from horses as mentioned to using them in an outdoor furnace. ask around at work or put up a sign at the end of the driveway either free or charge like $5 a pickup full, that would help sort of pay back the cost of the chipper or atleast get you some free fuel for the tractor.