work light and 12v outlet done!

/ work light and 12v outlet done! #1  

hcallihan

Tractor
John Deere 2305
I finally got all the parts together and installed a rear work light and 12v switched power outlet on my 2305. I borrowed alot of ideas from you guys! I used the cutout that is meant for the cruise control sw for the sw that controls the 12v outlet. I installed a second sw in the blank left of the parking brake for the rear work light. Both circuits are fused and operate thru relays. The relay circuit draws it's power from the #1 wire at the key sw and is only hot when the key is on. It goes from the #1 wire, thru a fuse, thru the sw's and to the relay coils. The power to the light and 12v outlet come directly from the battery, thru a fuse, thru the relays, and out to the loads. May seem like overkill, but I think it's a good design. Sw's are John Deere as is the rear work light. The 12v outlet is a marine outlet I've seen used by a number of people on here. The relays are standard automotive relays. Almost all connector are heat shrink type or sealed with heat shrink tubing. It was dark when I finished and the rear light already came in handy backing into the shed.

Attachments

• john deere work 001.JPG
    john deere work 001.JPG
    411.3 KB · Views: 883
  • john deere work 002.JPG
    john deere work 002.JPG
    485.5 KB · Views: 762
  • john deere work 003.JPG
    john deere work 003.JPG
    273.5 KB · Views: 809
  • john deere work 004.JPG
    john deere work 004.JPG
    372.8 KB · Views: 693
  • john deere work 005.JPG
    john deere work 005.JPG
    309.1 KB · Views: 704
  • john deere work 007.JPG
    john deere work 007.JPG
    305.5 KB · Views: 812
  • john deere work 008.JPG
    john deere work 008.JPG
    429 KB · Views: 773
   / work light and 12v outlet done! #2  
Nice Job:D

/ work light and 12v outlet done! #3  
very nice - good write up and great pics. Thanks for sharing - good looking snow machine!

Brad

/ work light and 12v outlet done! #4  
Nice work - that 12V outlet would come in very handy for a lawn sprayer plug-in too! Is that a JD or aftermarket folding ROPS?

Scott

/ work light and 12v outlet done! #5  
Really like your setup!

/ work light and 12v outlet done!
The ROPS is a Femco. The JD ROPS barely cleared my shed door especially if I backed in because I have a slight ramp into the shed and I knew with tire chains the JD ROPS was not gonna clear the doorway. I considered a JD rops from the 2520 but it was twice the money and I like the way this one folds better. I've read some of the arguments about liability and I have to think that Femco probably would be exposed if anything ever happened? My property is very flat and I am not planning, and hope I never have to find out the answer to that. My Dealer assured me it would not affect warranty on the rest of the tractor, and I trust that.

/ work light and 12v outlet done! #7  
I need lights and I really figured it out a minute ago. I'd still be outside trying to spread the 34 tons of gravel that was just dropped off if I could see anything.

Are the lights mounted on the ROPS ever annoying since they are kind of behind your head? I was planning on installing lights out toward the front of my canopy because I though I might end up staring into a bright light when turning my head. The only thing I know for sure about the headlights is they are bright, but that bucket is almost always in the path of the light. It would also be very helpful to see behind me. This time of year around here it is dark enough to need lighting from 1500 until 0800. I usually only have the time to play after 1700.

If you don't have a height issue, then absolutely the lights would be better near the top of the ROPS, or if you have a canopy, near the front of it. That will most likely be one of my next little projects, designing an adjustable mount for the lights so I can telescope them , or a shield of some sort. As it is, you have to be careful not to turn your head and look right into them. Definately blinding! I've seen where a couple of other guys have done it using various methods. Gets dark pretty early here too. Luckily I'm retired now and can work in the daytime if I need, although I typically like to do snow removal at night. Guess thats what happens when you work 3rd shift half your life!

Last edited:
   / work light and 12v outlet done! #9  
hcallihan:

Nice work. I got tired of my rear lights poking me in the kidneys, so I moved them up higher as shown in my photo gallery accessible via my signature.

All chained up and no snow to plow.

you do nice work MJNCAD. Those are some pretty sweet brackets.