Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 5055e

Default Wiring gurus... a question about wiring factory work lamps

My 2320 was delivered last night. I bought the pair of front-mount work lamps and had the dealer install with the new tractor. As many of you have posted (archives search), I don't like the all-or-nothing aspect of having them wired through the headlamp switch. In fact, the switch does not appear to be properly wired (according to the owner's manual, the 4-way is supposed to go 'off-hazard-headlights-headlights&hazards&worklamp'... mine goes 'off-hazards-headlights&worklamps-headlights&hazards'). Adding to the issue, I'd like to wire a Hella dual-beam rear work lamp (as I've done on countless trucks) on an independent switch and fused wiring harness.

My questions are #1 - are all Deere switches now in the physical shape of the turn signal switch? If so, I have no use for turn signals and would just assume replace the switch with a 3-position so that I can independently wire front and rear lamps. But I'd like the factory-shaped switch. Any suggestions about which 3-position switch to ask for at the dealer parts desk (i.e. "get yourself the hydraulic diverter switch from a 4720"). I assume these switches are quite expensive...

Question #2 - any reason I can't just use the turn signal switch? Push it left for forward work lights, right for rear?

Question #3 - is it me or is the location of the lamps annoying? It seems to reflect right into my eyes, making it even harder to see than with them turned off. Has anyone moved them to a better location?

Observation #1 - the lamps are the same units as those on my Toro snowblower.

Conclusion (for now) #1 - I may just turn them around and use them as rear lamps...

Admission #1 - it's not in my nature to 'just turn them around and use them as rear lamps...' I'm not going to be happy until I've fiddled with them.

Admission #2 - they'll probably break during the fiddling process.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Tractor
    John Deere 4110, 455

Default Re: Wiring gurus... a question about wiring factory work lamps

I personally would not rewire or replace the turn signal switch. I like to keep the factory wiring in place as much as possible.

When adding my lights, I chose to mount them high on the ROPS to help keep the glare to a minimum. There are may threads on making brackets or clamps to attach to the ROPS, or some chose to drill small holes in it to mount then as I did-this is a heated topic here!

I used sealed switches from a marine supply store for mine, but there is a JD switch from the gator's I think that others have used. Search post's by "bloomingtonmike" I think for the part #.

I f you are adding 4 new lights, I seriously suggest that you do NOT wire them through the headlight switch, but rather run a new 30amp circuit on a relay from the battery.

HERE are pictures of my install...
    KennyD
    www.boltonhooks.com

Bolt On Grab Hooks, Weld On Grab Hooks, Specialty Chain and Rigging Accessories, Specialty Hydraulic Components.

Simple JDParts Tutorial HERE

Visit our YouTube Channel

Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 5055e

Thanks for the leads.

With regard to using the turn signal switch, I used it on my kubota and it worked beautifully. I simply pulled the factory harness off from the switch and shrink wrapped it... when I sold the tractor, I pulled out my dedicated (relayed) wiring harness and reconnected the factory turn signal harness to the switch. I totally agree about retaining the factory harness.

I haven't looked yet (it's in the teens and quite blustery outside now), but I question whether the turn signal completes the circuit on a John Deere. It didn't on the Kubota, allowing me to use the switch.

Tractor
    John Deere 4110, 455

I belive the TS switch is just a DPDT switch (ON-OFF-ON) but not 100% sure. Please let us know when you find out...
    KennyD
    www.boltonhooks.com

Bolt On Grab Hooks, Weld On Grab Hooks, Specialty Chain and Rigging Accessories, Specialty Hydraulic Components.

Simple JDParts Tutorial HERE

Visit our YouTube Channel