Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere 3120

Default 50 hour service

How big a deal is it to get this right at the 50 hour mark? I just turned 50 and I may have another 15-20 hours before I'll be able to get it in. Do bad things happen say at 70 hours?

Tractor
    John Deere 4110, 455

Default Re: 50 hour service

I think you will be OK for another 20 hrs...
    KennyD
    www.boltonhooks.com

Bolt On Grab Hooks, Weld On Grab Hooks, Specialty Chain Accessories, Specialty Hydraulic Components.

Simple JDParts Tutorial HERE

Visit our YouTube Channel

Tractor

I am waiting on delivery of a 2520. What exactly is done on the 50 hour service?

Tractor
    John Deere 3120

I know the oil gets changed, which I guess I could do. Other than that, I think it is all spelled out under the hood. I kind of wanted to have the dealer do it for documentation and so I can watch everything they do (check, tighten, grease...). Maybe documenting the 50 hour at 70 isn't so good. It just seems very early to change the oil. Last I looked at it, it wasn't even that dark.

Tractor
    John Deere 3120

I just called and they have time to do it in the morning and I can watch, so what the hay. The more I though about how much I will be using it in the next few months, the more it started to seem like it was going to have 150 hours for the 50 hour service. Better safe than sorry.

It still seems awfully early to have to change the oil.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    JD 2320

garth466

Just changing the "break-in" oil and hydrostatic trans fluid at 50 hours. I was pretty surprised at all the metal filings that were sticking to the magnets in the trans fluid. After that it is every 200 hours for my 2320. Pretty easy to do yourself just take John Deere's fluid capacities with a grain of salt and approach the full mark slowly.
    Ed

JD 120, JD 2320, 200CX FEL, RB2060 Rear blade

Tractor
    John Deere 2520, 1989 John Deere 185, 1960 Panzer T70B

Does everyone switch to the low viscosity hydro oil after the first change?

According to the manual, it comes with the regular viscosity oil, but none of the dealers around here seem to carry it.

Tractor
    Mahindra 5035 HST

Quote Originally Posted by EdC
    garth466

Just changing the "break-in" oil and hydrostatic trans fluid at 50 hours. I was pretty surprised at all the metal filings that were sticking to the magnets in the trans fluid. After that it is every 200 hours for my 2320. Pretty easy to do yourself just take John Deere's fluid capacities with a grain of salt and approach the full mark slowly.
    That is why it is initially changed early, the break-in metal.I wouldn't let it go too long...

Tractor
    John Deere 3320

Quote Originally Posted by garth466
    I know the oil gets changed, which I guess I could do. Other than that, I think it is all spelled out under the hood. I kind of wanted to have the dealer do it for documentation and so I can watch everything they do (check, tighten, grease...). Maybe documenting the 50 hour at 70 isn't so good. It just seems very early to change the oil. Last I looked at it, it wasn't even that dark.
    Garth,

Check out this post: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/j...r-service.html

If the service hasn't already been done, I suggest you look closely at what comes out of the front axle.

Tractor

Nice link with pictures Killer B! Looks like chips from machining something, not metal fragments indicating something wrong. But nobody wants to find that stuff in their oil.Let us know what you find in the next oil change.A magnet on the filler plugs sound like a good idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast