Oil & Fuel 2320 hydraulic oil change -- questions

/ 2320 hydraulic oil change -- questions #1  

Mackinac Joe

Tractor
JD 2320
Fellow TBN-ers,

I ran into a snag while changing the hydraulic oil in my 2320 (for the first time) and I have a few questions. Hopefully some of you veterans can help me out.

My JD "Filter Pak" came without the orange Donaldson hydro filter that mounts just forward of the left rear wheel, so I can't complete the job until I get one.

Question 1: Does anyone know if the Filter Pak is supposed to include that Donaldson filter? It's Donaldson P164381. Does anyone know if that filter is readily available at auto parts stores?

Question 2: However, the Filter Pak does include a cartridge that is basically the same size as the "suction screen" found behind the oil strainer cover just beneath the rear PTO. But, the cartridge in my Filter Pak is made of paper, while the suction screen in my tractor is made of metal. The operator's manual says to clean the screen (and the magnets inside) and re-install.

Here's the question. What is the paper cartridge in my Filter Pak? It's JD part # LVU800405. Does it go inside the screen? The operator's manual doesn't say anything about that, and the screen doesn't seem to come apart to allow insertion of a paper cartridge. I'm confused.

Question 3: The operator's manual says to clean the suction screen and magnets with a "mild solvent." What would you use? Is gasoline OK? Will gasoline hurt the O-rings on the oil strainer cover?

Question 4: As others have noted in earlier posts, there are quite a few metal shavings on and around the suction screen. There is some hydro oil just inside the oil strainer cover that won't drain. Should I do anything to clean out that oil and any shavings that may be lying there?

Question 5: Do you know why there are two hydro drain plugs? (The instructions say to remove two, and both are indeed marked.) One is higher than the other. The higher one didn't drain anything after I let the lower one drain out.

Sorry for all the novice questions. I was just hoping a voice of experience could help me out. Thanks!

Joe

/ 2320 hydraulic oil change -- questions #2  
Hi Joe

By no means am I a veteran (other than the AF :D ) but I did do my 50 hr service last spring and did change out the hydraulic oil.

As I remember my dealer recommended that I did not get the Filter Pak because it was put together before some of the engineering changes on the 2320 changed how some parts were built. I just asked for "everything I need for the 50 hr service". I think he said that the Filter Pak did not include the orange filter but as I said that was last spring.

There was no way for me to take the screen apart and the dealer did not provide a filter that would have fit in it.

I used alcohol to clean the suction screen and magnets then spent quite a bit of time getting all the little filings off the darn magnets, They hold onto those filings pretty good.

I did use some lint free paper towels (tec wipes) to blot up all of the hydraulic oil that would not drain, there were a few filings in the bottom of the puddles so I would recommend that. It did not take too long.

No idea on the two plugs, I removed the lower one just like you did then did not get any more hydraulic oil to drain when I took out the second one. JD just did that to confuse us.

When you do go to refill your machine pay attention to how much hydraulic fluid it actually takes. My manual stated 3.4 gallons in the service directions and 2.6 gal in the capacities. Three gallons filled it up to where there was just a small bubble at the top of the site glass.

Hope this helps

Edited to correct capacities after refering to the manual. So much for my memory.

/ 2320 hydraulic oil change -- questions
Ed, that is very helpful. Thanks for the advice on the fluid capacities. I think I remember reading that somewhere, probably a previous post by you.

Hopefully somebody will still reply if they know you can get those Donaldson filters at auto supply shops. I could possibly pick one up today on the way home from church, which would be a week earlier than I'll be able to get one from the dealer. Wife won't be happy if expensive new tractor can't plow out her driveway for a week!

Joe

/ 2320 hydraulic oil change -- questions #4  
A good auto store should be able to cross that Donaldson #. I know Napa stores have Farm and Industrial catalogs they can reference also.

"Mild solvent" is pretty much anything that will do the job and not tear up your parts. Any petroleum or water based product will be safe for your o-rings. No harsh cleaning solvents. A solution of Dawn dishwashing detergent and water will also work well and keep your hands looking pretty.

As far as the parts go, the JD guys here know far more than I do about JD's packaging. One thing I found to be common however, is generically packaged kits to fit many models. There may be stuff in there that doesn't pertain to your unit. I don't think that a paper screen filter will replace your metal suction screen. I would think that the paper would not hold up to the demands of the pump.

If you have metal filings in the bottom of your tank, I would place a large magnet in the tank where there is as little turbulence as possible. I would rather have them trapped by a magnet than floating around.

/ 2320 hydraulic oil change -- questions
Gents, thanks for the advice. I accidently put nearly 4 gallons of hydro fluid in the 2320 without overflowing, so there seems to be a lot of room in there for hot fluid expansion! Getting the correct level required just a tad under 3 gallons.

Ed, as you suggested I toweled out the puddle of hydro fluid and shavings in the bottom of the housing. Hopefully the next time I won't find the shavings.

WayneCountyHose, I ended up not putting in the extra magnet to catch shavings. I got skittish I guess about putting a magnet "loose" in there. Of course, I still have the factory magnets in the suction screen.

The dealer "made it right" for shorting me the hydraulic filter in the 2320 "Filter Pak." He replaced the Donaldson filter with a Deere-branded one, probably made by Donaldson.

Glad I got the tractor buttoned back up. We've had two good sized snows since then and a bunch more today.

Joe

/ 2320 hydraulic oil change -- questions #6  
No specific comments, except one: DO NOT USE GASOLINE AS A SOLVENT! It is a motor fuel and highly flammable because of the butane in what's basically a naphtha. Kept telling my Dad this, but he kept using it as a solvent and fire starter and ended up burning his legs a couple of times. Buy some kerosene or alcohol for use as a mild solvent and maybe some of that carb cleaner stuff or lacquer thinner for tougher cleaning or if you want it completely oil-free when dry. Alcohol works really good for cleaing the gunk off the 3ph after repeated applications of silicone and absorbance of some dirt into it.

Ralph