Grading New idea for plow blade - what do you think?

/ New idea for plow blade - what do you think? #1  

bxowner

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 5055e
I have a 2320 with the 200cx loader. I've been debating buying the dedicated plow assembly (54" quick-hitch style), but will likely be moving snow banks with the FEL. Don't want to spend a ton of time switching between the two... so in my searches, I came across this on the internet:

http://www.johnnyproducts.com/images/Johnny-Plow-Sr/JplowSr 013.jpg

It's a 60" power-angle plow blade and costs just under $700. I thought I'd then buy the Curtis-type bracket for the 200cx loader and have the two welded together... if I disable the 'rolling' function of the FEL, then I should be able to run this in place of the bucket.

Anything I'm missing? Anyone have a sense of what the bracket for a 200cx loader runs?

Ultimately, I think this is the best solution for my situation. I don't have a really long driveway, but using the FEL alone takes a long time to plow. I just can't justify $2500 for the Curtis set-up. As nice as it is, it also seems quite heavy and sticks way out from the loader arms.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

/ New idea for plow blade - what do you think? #2  
I bought a Meyer 6.5' plow on eBay for $100 last spring and I am just getting around to fabbing things up to make it fit my Kubota.

I struggled with whether or not I should remove the FEL to plow and in the end I just decided as you said to use the "roll" hydraulics to swing the plow left and right and the FEL arms to raise and lower the plow.

Not sure if you have the means, but about 2 hours of building a bracket would have you up and running for any Meyer or other style blade you can find used. For me I plan on leaving the blade that wide. It will be too wide for heavy storms, but 80-90% of the snow storms we get here in Indianapolis are 2-4"s. If it proves to be too wide I can always cut it down. I am repainting and cleaning things up right now, but here is a shot from last summer.

Attachments

• Meyer plow on BX.JPG
    Meyer plow on BX.JPG
    354.9 KB · Views: 1,007
   / New idea for plow blade - what do you think? #3  
I did basically the same thing a couple years ago with my 2210. I used a 60" garden tractor blade. used the bucket roll hyd. to swing the blade. I fabricated a mount, but I know you can buy just the bucket flanges from deere. If you search my posts I think there is a picture of it somewhere.

I looked, its not there. If you want I,ll get a picture.

/ New idea for plow blade - what do you think? #4  
that plow looks ALMOST identical to the plow i just made for my 2320. I used a 52" atv blade and made a frame that goes onto my quick attach 200CX loader. I can change between my bucket and plow in 1 min. I just got to try it out the other day and it works great. However i knew from the start the 52" was not wide enough, so i odered a 72" blade last night. When i get home i will post pics. Only thing i have not done yet which is on the list, is to add the side to side piston. I wanted to make sure the plow setup worked first. That plow you posted looks like its right off an atv!

thats funny.... i just looked more on the johnnyproducts site and they are using the Cycle Country atv plows and accessories..... the exactly plow i used for my 2320-
Cycle Country Index-Manufacturer of ATV accessories such as snowplows, winches and implements for over 20 years - Product
Cycle Country Index-Manufacturer of ATV accessories such as snowplows, winches and implements for over 20 years - Product

Last edited:
   / New idea for plow blade - what do you think?
purpony -

I'm anxious to see the photos. I cannot believe how much of my time this so-called 'dilemma' is absorbing. The last few days have gone like this: OK, I'm just going to go with the factory frame-mounted blade. No, no. The FEL quick-blade will be more convenient. No, factory. No, FEL...

/ New idea for plow blade - what do you think? #6  
purpony said:
that plow looks ALMOST identical to the plow i just made for my 2320. I used a 52" atv blade and made a frame that goes onto my quick attach 200CX loader. I can change between my bucket and plow in 1 min. I just got to try it out the other day and it works great. However i knew from the start the 52" was not wide enough, so i odered a 72" blade last night. When i get home i will post pics. Only thing i have not done yet which is on the list, is to add the side to side piston. I wanted to make sure the plow setup worked first. That plow you posted looks like its right off an atv!

thats funny.... i just looked more on the johnnyproducts site and they are using the Cycle Country atv plows and accessories..... the exactly plow i used for my 2320-

I would love to see the pictures.

/ New idea for plow blade - what do you think? #7  
well the snow if flying here... so far we have a min of 10" of snow on the ground. plowed the driveway once already but getting ready to go back out. Wish my 72" plow was here now but i wont have it till next week.
Here are the pics. I made the frame out of 2x4 box steal. Its used for my plow, forks, and a quick front mount 3 point hitch. Plan on installing a hydraulic side to side tilt, just wanted to test my setup first.

marcssnowplow1.JPG

marcssnowplow2.JPG

marcssnowplow3.JPG

marcssnowplow4.JPG

marcssnowplow5.JPG

marcssnowplow6.JPG

/ New idea for plow blade - what do you think? #8  
dont know if anyone cares and i know this what a snowplow thread, but here are picks of what i use the frame for other then the snowplow-

with the 3point hitch i can lift my rear mount mower for cleaning, sharpening blades, and moving for storage.

Quick Hitch, can be used front or rear
2320FEL3pointhitch4.JPG

Original style quick hitch to front end loader, same as bucket. One and off in uder 10 secs.
2320FEL3pointhitch5.JPG

Bar pulls out and quickhitch removed. Bar also holds adjustable fork inplace
2320FEL3pointhitch6.JPG

Quick hitch mounted on rear, backup, hookup, drive away
2320FEL3pointhitch7.JPG

Drive up and tilt
2320FEL3pointhitch3.JPG

Quick 3point attachment
2320FEL3pointhitch2.JPG

lift, clean, and sharpen
2320FEL3pointhitch1.JPG

still got to paint the forks- still looking for a 36" pair as well.
2320FELForks.JPG

/ New idea for plow blade - what do you think? #9  
Wow purpony, that is beautiful. I really wish I knew how to fabricate something like that!

How do you plan on getting the hydraulic side to side? it would seem to be a shame to jeopardize your curl function.

How much do you figure the whole thing cost you, parts, accessories and stock? How many hours of labour?

GN

/ New idea for plow blade - what do you think? #10  
Purpony

Very nice work. Since I am used to Orange, two quick Deere questions:

- What is the FEL lift capacity on your 2320? (ish)
- Did the FEL come stock with the quick release bucket or was that an option (if it was an option, how much more was it?)

Very impressive