2210 Will not start, Snows flying

/ 2210 Will not start, Snows flying #1  

ctc1111

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040
Hey everyone, been awhile since my last post here, but I've got a problem. After a snow storm the other night, I was driving our 2210 to its parking spot in one of our commercial lots, and then it started running rough and died. It had been running all night long (for a few hours) because we were cleaning up after our snow storm. So I assumed it was becuase of gelling desiel since it was about 26 degrees out. But I do always add the anti gelling fluid to the fuel. So today I had no time at all to get to it, and tonight I tried to start it. After a few cranks it started and ran a little below full throtle for about a minute, so I brought it down to idle and then back up and it would not rise in rpm and then just died again. I then attemped to start it again, untill the battery died, and I could not get anything out of it. I did notice that the coolant was quite low, I'm not sure if this had anything to do with it. (like since there is low coolant something switches it not to start). I thought it was odd how I could not get even a sputter out of it after it ran for a minute. And the switch on the fuel filter is on.

We use it for snow removal on our commercial lots, like for sidewalks and such, and we're getting almost a foot of snow tonight so any help is really appriciated.

thank you

/ 2210 Will not start, Snows flying #2  
Sounds like you need to change the fuel filter and air filters.

/ 2210 Will not start, Snows flying #3  
When it sat yesterday, was it outside?
Is it in a warm area now?
When last did you drain the water separator and filters?

It sounds like classic WIF syndrome to me...That's Water In the Fuel. I know you said you used a "anti gelling fluid", but often diesel still contains small amounts of water that can still freeze. That's what the water separator is designed to do, separate and collect it.

If you don't have any spare filters, at least get the machine into a warm area if possible and drain down the filter bowl and also let a little fuel run out of the tank to flush the line a little.

/ 2210 Will not start, Snows flying #4  
I doubt if it is fuel gelling at 26 degrees if you have treated the fuel, but definitely sounds like a fuel problem. First, I'd look for water in the fuel as mentioned above. Replace fuel filter. If you don't have a new fuel filter, remove old one and flush as best you can with fuel, drain tank a little, and replace filter. Would be best to do all this in a heated garage in case water is frozen. Good luck.

/ 2210 Will not start, Snows flying #5  
I third the water in the fuel or filters clogged, however I had a similar problem once as well. It turned out that the vent cap on the fuel tank cap was not venting, therefore not allowing the fuel to flow properly on my 2210. Just a quick idea to remove the cap and try to start and run it to eliminate that particular problem.

/ 2210 Will not start, Snows flying #6  
Were you moving snow with your loader? I had my loader on a few times and the hydraulic hoses pushed against the fuel shut off valve and turned it just enough to shut the tractor off. I had a terrible time figuring it out. Maybe worth a look at.

/ 2210 Will not start, Snows flying #7  
Mine did the exact same thing.....after playing with it for a while it turned out to be water in the fuel. Removed the filter and installed a new one and completely drained the tank. Turned it over a few seconds and it sarted right up. But nothing like happening in the middle of the 500' drive way. No one could come in or get out...they had a vested interest in assiting me in my frustration trying to figure it out!

/ 2210 Will not start, Snows flying #8  
Hey Collin, How are you doing with the 2210. Hope you got it going seeing as how the Merrimac Valley got a little more white stuff than was predicted on 12/20/07. Go figure this year.:rolleyes:

/ 2210 Will not start, Snows flying
I got it running, but now its having problems again. This seems to only happen when it snows lol.

It will start and then die, and not start up again. It has done this atleast once every storm. So I assumed that it was gelling diesel, but I always put in power service anti gelling fluid. So today when it happened I went to the water separator and pulled that off and there was a lot of water in there so I cleaned it all out and changed the filter and this helped nothing. How I got it started last time this happened was I got a hair dryer and heated all the fuel lines and injectors and fuel filters. After about an hour or two of this I got it started. It was around 32 though so I doubt that the diesel with fuel additive would gel at that temp.

The cap sounds like an idea. This time though is a little different. When it has happened before I would get a little sputter now and then out of it. Now I get nothing at all. When I reinstalled the fuel bowel and all that I turned the valve back on and the fuel quickly filled the bowl. I've got John Deere comming to fix it tomorrow but the snow is flying today.

Any more ideas?

/ 2210 Will not start, Snows flying #10  
Any more ideas?

My idea is the same as before. I think your fuel has water in it. Have you drained any fuel from the tank as suggested? How old is this fuel?