JD 1050 Turbo Working?

/ JD 1050 Turbo Working? #1  

JJones

Tractor
TC40D w/SS
Can any one tell me how to tell if the turbo on my John Deere 1050 loader tractor is working? It is about 12 years old and 630hrs. I bought used about 3 years ago. It seems to run fine but I can't tell if the turbo is actually working. I have opened the turbo intake and can see the turbine freely turns but I don't hear a high pitched whine under load or under any condition. Should I be able to hear the turbo working. The tractor seems to have plenty of power but it can be loaded down. Any response would be appreciated. Thanks Bob

/ JD 1050 Turbo Working? #2  
There's not any easy way, I'm afraid. It's very unlikely that you'd be able to hear it in a high-noise, relatively low boost application like a tractor. So that's not much of an indication. Also, be aware that most turbos don't work very well at low engine rpms, so if you aren't running it up around PTO rpm, it's not going to be doing much good, anyway.

There's usually a tap (plug) in the intake manifold for a boost pressure gauge, which is made to do just what you want, but it's something you'd have to take it to a dealer for, or buy the gauge, of course. If you decide to do this, make sure you wire-brush around the plug and wipe it off well before removing it - you don't want any rust flakes or dirt being sucked into the cylinders.

If the turbo isn't mounted directly to the exhaust manifold, sometimes there's a pipe there that you can take out. If you could do that and did, there will be a marked decrease in the power if the turbo was working before you removed its power source (the exhaust). That's more trouble than it's worth but if you decided you wanted to know that bad, be careful not to get any more of the flakes and stuff from the pipe in the turbo than you have to. And you definitely don't want to take the intake side off, unless the turbo needs rebuilding, without being extremely careful to keep everything very clean.

Mark

/ JD 1050 Turbo Working? #3  
I just purchased the intake and non-working turbo from a 1050. It hasn't arrived yet. Any idea who makes the turbo and where I can get it fixed?

Thanks!

/ JD 1050 Turbo Working? #4  
If your turbo is not working your tractor will have little power and smoke profusely. But if you really want to know put a pressure gauge on the intake. You will need a gauge the reads fairly low as I doubt your engine will develop more than 7 psi.

/ JD 1050 Turbo Working? #5  
Man, this has got to be the oldest thread revival I've seen so far. 15 years!

/ JD 1050 Turbo Working? #6  
Man, this has got to be the oldest thread revival I've seen so far. 15 years!

Your right.:laughing:I should have checked the date before responding.:mur:

/ JD 1050 Turbo Working? #7  
If your turbo is not working your tractor will have little power and smoke profusely. But if you really want to know put a pressure gauge on the intake. You will need a gauge the reads fairly low as I doubt your engine will develop more than 7 psi.

I'm reviving an old thread.........really old.......but It is pertinent to a current thread. If the turbo on a 1050 isn't providing proper boost it has been stated the tractor will smoke profusely. Based upon this comment I assume this would also be true if we ran this 1050 tractor with ambient air pressure.......no boost. Anyone know if this is true? I'm thinking we need to put a pressure gauge on our intake to measure the boost. Thoughts? Our tractor won't take power, rattles a lot when throttle is added and has lots of black smoke.