I guess I'll wire the rear light tomorrow!

/ I guess I'll wire the rear light tomorrow! #1  

buckeyebrad

Tractor
I've had the 3320 almost a year and it's way past time to install a rear work light. I've seen a few great examples on TBN. I think I"ll use the existing rear wiring harness and install an extra rocker switch on the fender console so I don't have to have the rear light on all the time with the front lights on. I hope the dealer carries the bullet plugs so I can connect right up to their harness with my non JD light. I got cheap and bought a light from TSC to mount on the ROPS. Anyway I thought I could just run in to my dealer and get the on/off light switch and I'd be standing around the back of my lit up JD with a brewski tonight admiring my tractor. Turns out they have to order it. Nobody in Michigan has it in stock. I guess if they stocked every part on their shelves their is half of them would be out of business. Still frustrated me severely though. I guess I'll do it tomorrow. My fault for not checking with them sooner. I'll see how this light looks, but from what I've seen I'll probably be wiring another one on the other side.

/ I guess I'll wire the rear light tomorrow! #2  
I'm facing a similar frustration... for different reasons. My problem can be summed up with two words: "operator error."

I have a slick dual-beam Hella work lamp (2x55 watt headlamp bulbs) installed on the back of my 2320 where the extra hydraulics bracket sits. Nicely tucked out of the way. Nicely wrapped in automotive shrink wrap. Stainless hardware. Doesn't work.

Can't for the life of me understand why. I've got power from the alternator to the relay. I've got the relay grounded. I've got the lamps to the relay. I've got the lamps grounded. I've got the switch to the relay. I've got the switch grounded. Nothing. But if I run the power from the alternator wire to the lamp wire, voila! Light! Lots of it.

I'll try again this weekend.

I'm using the turn signal switch, by the way. I have no need for turn signals. I've disconnected the turn signal harness from the switch and have shrink wrapped it - in case I sell the tractor or some day need turn signals. Might as well leave it stock. And yes, I've tested with a different switch and, no light. The turn-signal switch idea came to me from my last tractor - a Kubota - and it worked perfectly without the need to drill a hole for a new switch. Neither company leaves 'blank' switches on the dash.

/ I guess I'll wire the rear light tomorrow! #3  
I'm certainly no wiring expert but could the turn signal flasher be part of the problem?

/ I guess I'll wire the rear light tomorrow! #4  
I feel your pain regarding the switch. I had to order the "gator" style switch as the dealer had "just sold the last one." It was worth the wait though, the switch looks great on the console next to the cruise rocker switch.

BXOwner,

I had the same problem initially when I hooked up the lights to my 3320. I found a nice bolt to connect the ground and nothing. The paint on the tractor is fairly thick in spots. I had to grind off some paint to get a good ground. Hopefully it is as simple as that.

Regards,
Mike

/ I guess I'll wire the rear light tomorrow! #5  
Mikey B -

Thanks for the suggestion. I jumped each ground with an extra pair of Snap-On clips (a wire strand with clips on either end) to no avail. I'm just going to start from scratch on Saturday. Was way too frustrating to keep trying last week. A fresh ground will be where I start.

/ I guess I'll wire the rear light tomorrow! #6  
bxowner said:
I've got the switch to the relay. I've got the switch grounded. Nothing. But if I run the power from the alternator wire to the lamp wire, voila! Light! Lots of it.

I'll try again this weekend.

I'm using the turn signal switch, by the way. I have no need for turn signals. I've disconnected the turn signal harness from the switch and have shrink wrapped it - in case I sell the tractor or some day need turn signals. Might as well leave it stock. And yes, I've tested with a different switch and, no light. The turn-signal switch idea came to me from my last tractor - a Kubota - and it worked perfectly without the need to drill a hole for a new switch. Neither company leaves 'blank' switches on the dash.

If I understand correctly, you have disconnected the wiring harness from the turn signal switch and connected one of the turn signal contacts to the relay. You didn't mention a power wire to the turn signal switch to replace the one that was likely disconnected when you disconnected the wiring harness.

Try jumping power to the relay coil to determine if your problem is on the primary side of the relay or the contacts side.