Stabilizer will not retract!

/ Stabilizer will not retract! #1  

ralphpsug

My right stabilizer will not retract. Up or down lever causes it to go down. Is a valve broken? Extended it... then tried to retract... no go. :(

Left side works fine.

John Deere:: 310G w/1400+ hrs.

Thanks,
Ralph

/ Stabilizer will not retract! #2  
Welcome to TBN:D

Three possibilities:
-the linkage to the valve is messed up
-the valve is bad
-the cylinder is leaking internally, this is probably the most likely problem.

/ Stabilizer will not retract!
Thanks. I'll get it checked out.

I have 'it' in a sling (strapped to the side) otherwise the tractor is not operational!

Ralph

/ Stabilizer will not retract! #4  
Any chance that there is hydraulic oil spraying out somewhere underneath when you hit the UP lever? From a broken/cracked hose or fitting....

/ Stabilizer will not retract! #5  
If the stabilizer picked up quite easily, the nut probably came off the end of the rod inside the cylinder. This is common. Take the hoses off the cylinder and install steel caps. Try to move the rod by hand. If it mover easily, that's your problem.

But, from the way you described, you hit the down lever and it went down normally. Up lever, and nothing. If the nut came off the rod, the piston would either be up at the top of the cylinder or cocked sideways. Either way, by hitting the down lever, it should not have gone down normally. But, being one side and not the other points to a cylinder. My vote is for something wrong inside the cylinder.