OK, a dumb question to some, but...

/ OK, a dumb question to some, but... #1  

bxowner

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 5055e
my 2320 has 24 engine hp and is rated at 18.5 PTO hp. It has hydro drive.

A comparable gear drive tractor always shows a higher PTO hp spec.

Does the 18.5 PTO rating apply when driven "under load"? Or standing still?

I ask this because I'm thinking of getting a PTO chipper - which is obviously only used while stationary. But I definitely notice the engine bogs when driven - such as when I am plowing heavy snow with the rear blade.

Can I expect more than 18.5 PTO hp while stationary?

/ OK, a dumb question to some, but... #2  
bxowner said:
Can I expect more than 18.5 PTO hp while stationary?
No...

/ OK, a dumb question to some, but... #3  
Even when your tractor is standing still, it is still using engine power to turn the hydro pump. But for the record, there are plenty of PTO chippers that your machine will handle. (depending on what you're looking to chip)

/ OK, a dumb question to some, but...
Thanks for the replies - I'm looking at the DR PTO chipper, which states a "minimum of 19 hp." Doesn't specify on the website whether it's PTO minimum or engine minimum. Either way, I'll probably buy it - the 1/2 hp difference should only limit me from chipping the largest of branches.

Too bad the hydro pump isn't like air conditioning (especially on older cars)... only draining power when "on." Pull the parking brake up on the tractor, disengage hydro drive pump.

/ OK, a dumb question to some, but... #5  
Manufacturers will always post their best numbers in ideal conditions. If they say your PTO HP is 18.5, that's the very best you can expect out of it. When driving and under load, that number will be less.

Eddie

/ OK, a dumb question to some, but... #6  
People have had good luck with the Dr Chipper on machines with less hp than yours has. I have also heard good things about the Wallenstein BX42 chipper on tractors your size, and smaller. I have used one on a BX, and it worked fine. Here is one on a Ck20 Kioti:

Attachments

• TBN_Chipper.jpg
    TBN_Chipper.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 374
  • TBN_Stack-O-Chips.jpg
    TBN_Stack-O-Chips.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 321
   / OK, a dumb question to some, but...
Thanks, Chuck. Very helpful and encouraging.

/ OK, a dumb question to some, but... #8  
You are welcome! I would look at what hp gas engines the manufacturers are offering before becoming too concerned about the power of your diesel. I think the biggest gas engine DR offers is 18 hp.... gas. Your diesel will have much more torque than that! The Wallenstein is offered with a 13hp gas engine too.... Have fun, and be safe. Here is a Wallenstein on a tractor like yours:

Attachments

• 100_0271.JPG
    100_0271.JPG
    212.5 KB · Views: 348
  • 100_0276.JPG
    100_0276.JPG
    195 KB · Views: 300
   / OK, a dumb question to some, but... #10  
I have used the Dr chipper on my 2305 which has the same PTO HP (18). It works fine. I've also used it on my 3720 where it works better... ;)

If your trying to chip 4.5" hardwood junk you'll just have to feed it in slower but it will work fine. I never stalled the tractor even once while using it.

On my 2305 I had to jump the seat Safety switch :O) to use it off tractor but it works fine.

Also, if it makes a difference, I use the Chipper/Shredder which has a much heaver flywheel than just the chipper and it's still fine on the 2305.