ComfortGuard Cab Speakers, 2 or 4 speakers

/ ComfortGuard Cab Speakers, 2 or 4 speakers #1  

TCowner

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4720 Cab
The 4720 with ComfortGuard cab was delivered yesterday. I didn't take any pictures but I believe it is both a federal and state law that pictures must be posted when a new tractor arrives. I will comply with those laws later today. Wow, what a tractor. I test drove a ComfortGuard cab a month ago and was impressed. But it was cold and only for a few minutes so it didn't have time to warm up. It was 40 degrees yesterday in Minnesota so it wasn't a good test but I was turning the heat control down rather quickly. The PowerTech engine is much louder than the New Holland TC40DA so I'm glad I went with the factory cab. It sure is quiet in there.

But here is a question. I am waiting for the am/fm CD player that should arrive this week. The tractor was delivered with the am/fm weatherband radio. The John Deere/Delco radio manual says you can switch from 2 to 4 speakers. The control on the radio also suggests you can switch from 2 to 4 speakers but it appears that I only have sound coming from the front.

Help me. Are there actually four speakers in the cab or just two?

I will need to change my sign log which is currently TCowner. Does anyone know the procedure to change the log in name or do I need to start over?

/ ComfortGuard Cab Speakers, 2 or 4 speakers #2  
I can only hear 2 spkrs in my 3720 cab. Seem to be in the front.

/ ComfortGuard Cab Speakers, 2 or 4 speakers #3  
First of all, CONGRATS!!!! You have yourself a beautiful machine with the 4720/Comfort Guard.

To the best of my knowledge, I only have 2 speakers in my 4720 (but again, it is almost 2 years old now...just got the card from the dealer saying my warranty is going to expire shortly).

I just have the basic radio in my tractor though, and not the weatherband one!

/ ComfortGuard Cab Speakers, 2 or 4 speakers
proglassco,

How many hours do you have on your 4720? I have around 3 and can't wipe the grin off my face. I'm glad I was talked into the factory cab by the dealer. He sweetened the deal so that it was an offer I couldn't refuse.

I had both boys in it and I might have to fight them for some seat time. Neither one liked the Supersteer feature on the New Holland. It was one of the first things they noticed when backing into the shed. The quiet cab and the "tunes" had them grinning as well.

You said your two year warranty was about to expire. Anything to look out for? What, if any, problems have you experienced? I appreciate your thoughts.
Terry

/ ComfortGuard Cab Speakers, 2 or 4 speakers #5  
I have just under 100 hours on the machine...I know, I baby it (sometimes :) ).

The only problems that I have had are...... (check my other posts)

1. I blew an engine...I was driving down the road in high range, and from what the dealer said when they broke down the motor was that the clip holding the injector broke and sheared the tip off, flooding the motor with diesel. I will admit, JD took care of the problem (they picked the tractor up on a Monday, an engineer was at the dealership from JD on Tuesday, and the new crate motor from the factory was there by Thursday) (the service manager has admitted here recently that my tractor was not the only one to have the problem, but he stated that there had been a change in the motor and I had the 'new / revised' one in my tractor).

2. I had a fuel leak on the new motor.....but there was a crack in the housing for the filter....simple fix.

Other than that, it has been a great tractor. Even though I had a major problem, they took care of it in a VERY timely manner.

I would advise a couple of add-ons if you don't already have them:

1. Exterior mirrors...man, I love mine (the cab only came with the 1 little one inside the cab on the RH side).
2. Rear work lights (mine only came with forward ones, so I purchased the rear work light kit...makes a difference working at night).
3. Horn kit (I use it when I am loading a truck...also, because of the cab, you can't yell at someone...so it is a safety feature for me as well).

All of these accessories are soo easy to install....all of the wiring is already ran, even to the rear work lights (it is in the yellow caution lights above), the horn (wire is in the dash AND under the hood, just plug both in and mount the button/horn).

Overall, I love my tractor. I have had soo many compliments on it, and it I still have a smile on my face when I am behind the wheel (I am just waiting on some more snow here in west central Indiana.....we have had record warmth the past 2 days...)

Rob

/ ComfortGuard Cab Speakers, 2 or 4 speakers #6  
What really puts a smile on your face is weather extremes. Wet,cold and windy. Hot,dry and dusty. Those conditions really make you smile.
Below is a copy of a post fo mine from a few months ago. That day I had a huge grin on my face.

Sincerely, Dirt

RAIN,SLEET & SNOW!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was out grading up a slag roadway into a housing development and had rain,sleet and snow all within about 1 hour. So, RAIN SLEET AND SNOW A CAB IS THE WAY TO GO! It was truely beautiful. I didn't feel any of that cold damp weather. When I got back to the house my wife ask if I heard the thunder or saw the rainbow. I missed that, must have been concentrating on the work at hand. Makes me miss my old JD870 a lot less. I bet I'm not going to miss putting on all those clothes to go out and plow snow at 4:30 am either.

/ ComfortGuard Cab Speakers, 2 or 4 speakers #7  
Two speakers is all you get. I questioned that after trying to turn on the other two for quite some time and calling JD. Also mentioned for that price there should be. Engine noise is still pretty loud in the cab. Wonder if anyone has found a way to deaden it a bit?

/ ComfortGuard Cab Speakers, 2 or 4 speakers #8  
Yup you get Two Speakers. But I think they do a pretty amazing job! I'm sure there isn't a whole lot more room in the roofline of the cab to put too many speakers in. You will love the stereo. I didn't need the CD Player though, because I use my iPod instead of CD's. My iPod transmits to the Stereo whatever I'm playing.... I'd rather carry 10,000 songs with me and listen to that on the stereo, than carry ten CD's~....

I don't care what anybody says.... For Me Once You Go Cab, You Never Go Back!! Cabs are awesome, and John Deere I feel still has the best one going still for this class of tractor...

/ ComfortGuard Cab Speakers, 2 or 4 speakers #9  
Jealousy is the only thing that comes to mind. While snowblowing without a cab one wrong turn equals instant snowman. But in the summer the headphones work great....haha. Some day...some day.

/ ComfortGuard Cab Speakers, 2 or 4 speakers #10  
The cab is definitely the way to go. After trading in my 3320 open for my 3720cab last summer I wished I had gone that way in the first place.

Definitely get the mirrors, the rear lights, and the horn. I recently put the mirrors and horn on and both are nice. Now I can honk at my dad to get out of the way with the mule (Kawasaki Mule..)... ;)

The mirrors just add a lot of visibility - Much better than the single interior one you get stock.

And the rear lights are great - two of them - I've had those all along.

And yes, the radio just has two speakers. :(