4400HST -- what replacement battery?

/ 4400HST -- what replacement battery? #1  

Mike_S

Silver Member
Tractor
JD4400HST
My first 4400HST had severe battery corrosion on the terminals and radiator (along with about every mechanical problem that could plague a compact diesel tractor) and my second 4400HST is five years old and has had two batteries and this one has ALSO given problems with corrosion of the positive terminal as well as corrosion of the entire battery compartment and even into the radiator. The first battery was replaced under warranty along with the positive battery cable and a repaint of the battery compartment and front suspension beneath the battery compartment. The second battery has been regularly serviced, but whether I use the red sealer, anticorrosion felt rings and even ye olde fashioned covering the positive terminal with grease, the large cottage cheese-like covering of the terminal returns and now that the battery will no longer keep a charge, it is time to replace it and I do NOT want to continue the fight against battery acid and corrosion once I neutralize the entire corroded battery area and repaint it. I have been unable to locate any exact replacements that do not need service (auto batteries) although a Group 22NF appears to fit from Tractor Supply - and the manual calls for 500 CCA's and I cannot locate any batteries of that physical size that come close. (Otherwise, this second 4400HST has been trouble-free!!) Did I mention that I hate JD OEM batteries;-)

I suspect that most 4400HST owners have replaced their original batteries by now and am wondering what the OEM battery was replaced with -- brand, group number, etc.

Suggestions/opinions (other than to get ANOTHER JD OEM battery) ??

Mike_S

/ 4400HST -- what replacement battery? #2  
Try a Google search on:

Group 22NF AGM Battery
Group 22NF GEL Battery

/ 4400HST -- what replacement battery? #3  
Get an Optima Yellow Top AGM battery and don't look back. I put one in my 4100 about five years ago and there isn't a speck of corrosion on the terminals to this day. Money well spent, IMO.

/ 4400HST -- what replacement battery?
thebigc said:
Get an Optima Yellow Top AGM battery and don't look back. I put one in my 4100 about five years ago and there isn't a speck of corrosion on the terminals to this day. Money well spent, IMO.

Can I assume that you purchased a universal automotive batter "hold down" kit to secure the Optima Yellow Top?

Mike

/ 4400HST -- what replacement battery? #5  
Mike, if you search the word "optima" here in the JD forum you will find hours of reading on this very topic.

/ 4400HST -- what replacement battery? #6  
Mike: My first JD battery for my 4400 was replaced under warrentee also. For the third battery I put in an optima (ouch $$) but that stopped the corrosion issue you talked about, and it's still going fine after five years. I did have to make some kind of bracket to keep it in place.

Wayne

/ 4400HST -- what replacement battery? #7  
Mike_S said:
Can I assume that you purchased a universal automotive batter "hold down" kit to secure the Optima Yellow Top?

Mike

Nope, just used the JD bracket that came with the tractor. Of course, I had to get a new one as that too was corroded to death along with the rest of the hardware courtesy of the original battery. Your 4400 must be a different setup than my 4100.

One thing I will say is that I haven't had any issues with the JD battery on my 3120. Yet.

/ 4400HST -- what replacement battery? #8  
Just replaced a JD Stongbox battery in my 4300 with a Yellow Top Optima (D51R). Advance Auto had them in stock. Needed my brother-in-laws help to weld up a top bracket as there are no ears on the bottom of the optima to use the factory anchors and parts store didnt have a universal tie down that would go length-wise across the battery. There was definitely more corrosion than I had expected to find under the battery and on the oil cooler, even on the frame under the compartment. The Strongbox did not have any corrosion on the terminals or signs of leaking on top of the battery, but I did not want to worry about this as a continuing problem. Cleaned area with baking soda and water, wire wheel and a quick coat of black paint to get thru winter- will go thru completely when weather warms up- thinking por15 or zero rust for the battery compartment and frame underneath. I have read both good and bad on the Optima's, cant comment on mine as it has only been in for about 24 hours. Hopefully it will provide years of troublefree service- if not- will post back. Good luck in your battery search.

Brian

2000 JD 4300, 430 loader, JD 216, 1986 Yamaha Moto4