JD 359 snowblower auger rotation?

/ JD 359 snowblower auger rotation? #1  

Steuny

Bronze Member
I have a JD359 blower mounted on the front of my JD 750 tractor. I noticed recently that the blower tends to push a lot of the snow in front of it rather then sucking it into the unit. The fan turns in the correct direction as it is pretty obvious. Is there a way that the auger could be incorrectly rotating. I had it apart this summer to do some bearing replacement. The auger turns from the top down and feeds the snow into the bottom of the unit. It seems to me the auger should be rotating the other way so snow is fed into the top of the unit and then pushed to the center. Currently the snow is picked up from the bottom. Would anyone who has such a setup confirm their direction of rotation. It's compared to having a broom where the auger is. The broom on my blower would sweep the dirt into the tractor versus away from. Hope that explains a bit of what I'm trying to ask. When I use to have a Kubota blower it would not leave a pile of snow where I stopped blowing. I tend to leave a pile of snow since it does not get sucked into the machine but pushed. Thanks

/ JD 359 snowblower auger rotation? #2  
My blower is not the same make but the rotation is the same as you describe and it will push snow like you describe if the base under the snow is smooth ice.
Here is a video of operation under those conditions.

/ JD 359 snowblower auger rotation? #3  
Looking at my blowers (I have 2), the auger seems to walk inward toward the center, like this >>>>> <<<<< So the snow is gathered to the middle where the rear fan blows it up and out.

Mine also pile snow in front as you describe. I guess they just pack snow to a certain degree before the auger can get a bite in.

/ JD 359 snowblower auger rotation? #4  
I have found the following to be true with my 3 PH blower.

The augers need to meet in the middle, or what I refer to as being "in phase" like this:

\/\/|\/\/

not out of phase like this:

\/\/|/\/\

When they are out of phase, the unit doesn't throw the snow very far, the snow piles up in front of it, and if it is wet snow it can clog up like concrete.

What happens when they are out of phase is that the snow gets pushed from side to side rather than being force fed in to the second stage. Another way to look at it is to consider what happens in a single blower (SSB). An SSB wouldn't function at all if the augers didn't meet in the middle.

This condition is exacerbated on a 3 ph blower over a front mount mainly becasue the 3 ph blower runs at a lower speed than a front mount (540 vs. 2000). However snow conditions can also contribute.

I discovered this after mistakingly replacing a shear pin with the augers out of phase. After several wet snows that didn't blow, I was about to give up on the unit until I was prepping it for this season and noticed my mistake. Since then we have had one snow, and it too was a wet one. The blower worked as well as it had before the mistake. I was very relieved.

OTOH, I tried to point out this situation in this post:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/jd-owning-operating/112260-our-new-2320-finally-3.html
"JSR LLS" Seemed to be having trouble blowing snow with his new tractor, and in his picture the augers appear to be out of phase, but once his snow got colder the problem also seems to have gone away and he is happy now.
Without owning a blower like this one, I can not be 100% positive that this auger setup could be wrong for his blower. It has an asymetric second stage unlike my 3ph blower which might make a difference. It might also run smoother if it was fed alternately by both sides, the higher RPM would certainly help it clear better, and cold dry snow will rarely clog up the unit.

/ JD 359 snowblower auger rotation?
I wanted to download a 3MB Mpeg file to illustrate the issue. I guess this site will not allow me to upload that extension or size. If you are interested let me know and I can e-mail it to you.

/ JD 359 snowblower auger rotation? #6  
Steuny said:
I wanted to download a 3MB Mpeg file to illustrate the issue. I guess this site will not allow me to upload that extension or size. If you are interested let me know and I can e-mail it to you.
How about first posting some pics of your setup first, maybe there will be something that you may be overlooking. Otherwise you can send me a file no problem, I can PM you the email.