The 3520 doesn't do lawn cutting as the R4's tear the turf on almost
any type of turn. Thought about buying R3's. Galaxies won't fit
the 3520 equipped with the 72" deck.

More importantly, the extreme slope around most of the property
presents a roll-over hazard for the 3520. The 4115 handled this
without any difficulty.

The REAL reason for trading the 4115 for the 3520 was the lousy
cutting quality of the 60" deck on the 4115. It was not a 7-Iron,
nor could I get a 7-Iron for it - dealer says it wouldn't fit.

The 3520 sits in the garage along with its 655 tiller and 300CX loader.
Tilling chores are virtually done. The loader is nice for those
monster snowfalls that happen once or twice every couple of years.
Plus, it's great for moving mulch and top soil or helping neighbors
get large trees off of the backs of trucks.

But it's sitting in the garage most days.

So, I was thinking about trading it in for a 748-SE (4wd, 24HP Yanmar) with
a 60" 7-Iron deck; 45-Loader; 647-Tiller and 3-pt. hitch; a 60"
HD Rotary Broom; and maybe a hard cab with heat - A/C would be
great for summers, but no such option.

Configured price is about the same as the 3520 was. But this
748 is no way near the tractor the 3520 is; BUT, it looks
to be more useful in my situation.

I looked at the 2520 (replacement for the 4115), but the 2000 series
lacks the 7-Iron decks. The 62" deck is too close in design to
the 60" I had on the 4115. No way am I taking a step backwards
in cutting ability. NOTE: I always mulch and the 7-Iron deck does
one helluva job - regardless of how wet and tall the grass might be.

But the 748 is a "toy" tractor - more useful in my case, but
I can't believe it has the longevity that the 3520 will give.

Comments welcome.

Cheers,

Lon

/ considering trading-in 3520 for 748 #3  
Ok. Maybe I should elaborate more. You've already got a ZTR doing the mowing chores. Trading the 3520 for anything else is just going to net you less tractor and a lighter wallet after depreciation and new taxes on the trade. I hardly think you can get a better cut and lower center of gravity than most ZTR type machines anyhow. (which costs alot less than your 3520). Keep the 3520 for your non mowing jobs (and it'll last forever) or just sell it. I can't see trading it for a lesser tractor to do chores that your ZTR can do.

/ considering trading-in 3520 for 748 #4  
I have a 2305 with 62"MMM which is an incredible mowing machine and 647 tiller, FEL, and BB. I'm interested in trading for that 3520!

/ considering trading-in 3520 for 748 #5  
The 748 is a great machine. I considered one myself for possibly the same reasons as you. I hate buying something $$$$ and only using it occasionally. I was worried about that with a bigger machine and FEL. Wasn't sure I would get that much use out of a FEL, so I was shopping the 748 hard. But, in the end my wife of all people, was the voice of reason. Hence I have what is in my signature. Obviously, the 748 isn't the machine the 3520 is, nor was it ever intended to be. It all boils down to what is best for you, and what you'll be happiest with. I would be happiest with whichever machine that at the end of most days I said, "This thing is worth every penny, and boy I get so much use out of it, and it suits my uses perfectly." Good Luck:)

/ considering trading-in 3520 for 748 #6  
I would take a look at the 749 with all wheel steer. I have a 455AWS and can cut nearly as fast as the zero-turns without all the scuff marks.

/ considering trading-in 3520 for 748 #7  
What do you need to do that you can't do with the ZTR? Maybe you don't "need" a tractor, but still want one.

D.

/ considering trading-in 3520 for 748 #8  
First blush --- looked at the question like D. Sell the 3520 and go on a long vacation!

But, on 2nd glance, I tend to look at your "work" as 2-fold. One, everything related to maintaining your lawn and two, the less frequent chores like moving mulch, topsoil, occasional tree, limbs, neighbors stuff.

Appears that you've got the lawn responsibilities fairly well covered with the ZTR. The 3520 is way too big a horse for the small occasional duties you outlined.

Why not downgrade to a smaller "tractor" and dedicate it to the heavier lifting work and just forget about attempting to mow or maintain the lawn with it - period.

Maybe the question you should ask yourself is --- will the 748 reasonably do the heavier lifting chores? Or would you be better off with a 2320 or 2520 sans mower deck?

AKfish

/ considering trading-in 3520 for 748 #9  
AKfish said:
First blush --- looked at the question like D. Sell the 3520 and go on a long vacation!

But, on 2nd glance, I tend to look at your "work" as 2-fold. One, everything related to maintaining your lawn and two, the less frequent chores like moving mulch, topsoil, occasional tree, limbs, neighbors stuff.

Appears that you've got the lawn responsibilities fairly well covered with the ZTR. The 3520 is way too big a horse for the small occasional duties you outlined.

Why not downgrade to a smaller "tractor" and dedicate it to the heavier lifting work and just forget about attempting to mow or maintain the lawn with it - period.

Maybe the question you should ask yourself is --- will the 748 reasonably do the heavier lifting chores? Or would you be better off with a 2320 or 2520 sans mower deck?

AKfish
I have to agree with this logic. you already said you don't cut grass with the 3520, if you want to down grade, drop to a 2520 without mmm.

/ considering trading-in 3520 for 748 #10  
JiminGa said:
I have to agree with this logic. you already said you don't cut grass with the 3520, if you want to down grade, drop to a 2520 without mmm.

With the depreciation hit - might be better off keeping the 3520. Heck, sell the MMM deck or something so you can't complain about it. :)

D.