John Deere 5310 injector pump woes?

/ John Deere 5310 injector pump woes? #1  

exiled

Silver Member
Hi guys, I'm looking at buying a 2000 5310 w/ 1900 hrs on it w/ a 520 loader. This machine is super clean. The bucket does'nt even have scuffs on it. Makes me think either the bucket was'nt used or its a replacement. The loader arms and other panels on the tractor does'nt have any scuffs either. Matter of fact the only scuffs is on the platfrom no doubt boot scuffs.
Anyway the dealer told me the machine has a very small leak at the fuel pump. I seen a salesman load a scoup on to a trailer with the tractor and I looked after he got through and could'nt find any fuel on the frame or ground under the tractor or where the scoup and trailer was. So it really must be a small leak. Searching the net for solutions to this problem the main thing I find is the injecter pump most likely needs to be replaced. I cant find any "How tos" on this. I've noticed the pump will have to be timed also after replacement. Does anybody have any idea how hard a job this is or how to do it? The dealership is asking $14500 for this machine. Which is $5000 cheaper than anyone I've found w/out a loader.
This just might be a machine to passup on. Any idea is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

/ John Deere 5310 injector pump woes? #2  
I don't know about costs for a 5310 injector pump but if you log onto the JD parts catalog online you should be able to look up the pump and get a list price. The dealer might cut you a break from the list price.

This should get you there: deerewebsite.com.

Injector pumps are generally pretty spendy items. You can likely expect to spend more than $2K for new.

There are rebuilt pumps available as well and they can save you quite a bit.

I'm wonderin' why the dealer didn't replace the pump? Especially if the tractor is priced at $5K below the goin' rate?

Maybe the body is fine and the line ends are cross-threaded or a bit leaky...?

Nonetheless, I don't know how comfortable you are jumpin' into replacin' the pump (timing it) but if you can get your hands on the JD technical repair manual for that tractor and engine series alot of your questions could be answered and you'll have a pretty good idea about doin' it yourself or havin' it done by the dealer, etc. (Maybe the shop foreman will let you thumb thru the manual...?)

Good luck.

AKfish

/ John Deere 5310 injector pump woes? #3  
Is it leaking at the injector pump or the fuel pump? Replacing the fuel pump won't be near as much as an injector pump($$$).

KB

/ John Deere 5310 injector pump woes?
KrumpsBrother said:
Is it leaking at the injector pump or the fuel pump?

Now my head hurts again. I had thought at first the salesman had said "leaking at fuel pump", but as I searched the net on this issue I kept running into injector pump being mentioned and nothing about a fuel pump. I just thought I heard him wrong. I believe he said fuel pump I'll find out tomarrow.

AKfish that was my first plan of action. I searched the net for a repair manual forthis model. Only ones I found is retailed. If I bought the tractor I would spend the $299 for it. I would rather know what I would be up against before I jump into this. I've never worked on a diesel before other than maintance on my superduty. Thanks for the advice guys.

/ John Deere 5310 injector pump woes? #5  
exiled, the Manual itself won't help you on the Injector, you will need a CTM
(Component Technical Manual) and Depending on the Engine you have 2.9L 3cycl. it would be the CTM 104 or 4.5L 4cycl. it would be the CTM 125. I have just the Service Manual on CD if you want more info. just PM me.

David

/ John Deere 5310 injector pump woes?
dsgsr said:
exiled, the Manual itself won't help you on the Injector, you will need a CTM
(Component Technical Manual) and Depending on the Engine you have 2.9L 3cycl. it would be the CTM 104 or 4.5L 4cycl. it would be the CTM 125. I have just the Service Manual on CD if you want more info. just PM me.

David

dsgsr, thanks brother. I decided to pass up on the 5310. I dont know anything about tractors or diesel motors. My F250 is my first diesel and other than oil, fuel filters and tranny filter and fluid change I have'nt messsed with it. I'm going to go with the 5300. I'd rather have a 65 horse tractor but just cant pull it off right now, and I've been putting it off for far to long. I've been hiring my work out to a neighbor and its just time for me to man up.
Both tractors have the 2.9L 3cycl. I'll wait before I jinks myself, and get the tractor home then I'll pm you to get some info.