Grading Added weights to Frontier BB2060 box blade

/ Added weights to Frontier BB2060 box blade #1  

Superduper

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 3120, Kubota BX2350, Deere X740
Needed to lift heavy mower (~800lbs) out of pickup truck with my new Frontier AL-1240F pallet forks. With that much weight hanging up to 4' from the end of the loader pins, I figured it would be prudent to add some weight to the rear end just in case. Don't have ballast box but figured I could try to hang some JD suitcase weights onto the box blade. It works! See images. There is room to fit 2 weights per side for a total of 4 and they fit cozy too. Just thought you frontier BB owners would be interested know. They go on/off easy enough as well too.

Attachments

• box blade 002.jpg
    box blade 002.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 957
  • box blade 003.jpg
    box blade 003.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 993
   / Added weights to Frontier BB2060 box blade #2  
My boxblade was made by Tufline. The ends are completely straight, not angled like the Frontiers. I put the suitcase weights on the ends as needed, up to 4 per side. If you are doing an angled ditch, those weights on the low side make a huge difference. Since most of us don't have any down pressure on the 3PT hitch, adding suitcase weights is the quick easy way to get extra digging power when needed. When you don't want excessive weight (i.e. final grading) merely take them off.

I am pretty sure that they can be used on back blades the same way.

I even use mine for non tractor projects. If I am cutting some long pieces of wood, I will go set a weight or two on the other end 10-15' away. It's like having a helper hold things for you. They are small and compact and the handle really works well.

/ Added weights to Frontier BB2060 box blade #3  
How much does each weight weigh? Are those the 40 pounders?

Thanks,

KB

/ Added weights to Frontier BB2060 box blade #4  
From memory

JD suitcase weights are 42# each and cost about $40 each. They have a handle. They are pricey, but very convienant. But on the other hand, if you buy a box scrape for $500 and use $200 worth of weights, you might not have to buy a $900 super heavy duty box scrape. Depending upon your needs, they might be cheaper and more versatile.

There are more than one size weight. The info above are for the small ones for tractors under 50HP. The big AG tractors use really big weights.

/ Added weights to Frontier BB2060 box blade
Yeah, the ones I installed are 42 pounders and they costed me something like $38 each. You can buy them online sometimes on ebay but in my opinion, they are never cheap enough to justify shipping. They are fairly small and have handles but make no mistake, they are heavy suckers for their size. Deere makes a 70 pounder too and I'm not sure what the width of those are but if they are the same, then they should fit snugly too. On the other hand, I prefer the 42 pounders because the 70 pounders are a bear to handle. At my age, I'd rather move a bunch of smaller lighter weights than a few large/heavier ones.

If the back lip of the box blade was not curved, I thought too that it would be convenient to hang weighs on that area but then it occurred to me that they might shift during use. The way I have mine installed, they don't budge at all. Someday, I'll pick up a welder and weld on a weight bracket onto the back blade, which will allow the weights to be installed correctly. The weight brackets also have a provision to install a rod through the bracket and weights preventing the weights from seperating from the bracket.