3000 vs 4000 series for stability

/ 3000 vs 4000 series for stability #1  

NYBOB

Silver Member
Tractor
2007 JD 3720
The reason I am trying to put weights on my rear wheels is stability. I have very hilly terrain and assumed that the 3720 would be more stable then my previous New Holland TC33D.

I told the dealer I would like to get a 4000 series up to my property in the spring to evaluate if it would better suit my needs.

Will going to a 4000 series help my situation?

Thanks

/ 3000 vs 4000 series for stability #2  
I doubt the stability is any different, the machine is taller and wider.

/ 3000 vs 4000 series for stability #3  
Don't think the stability gained, if any, from the swap would be worth the monumental price difference you're likely to see.

Try swap out the R4's for R1's mounted at the widest setting and fill them, finally add wheel weights. This configuration should get you about as stable as you can for your tractor. It won't be cheap but should be much cheaper than the likely 5 figure price increment.

/ 3000 vs 4000 series for stability #4  
NYBOB,you are going though the same thing I went though with my 3520. I doubt the wheel weights alone will help your stability enough.The 3000 series are just too narrow for hilly terrain. I ended up buying and installing 4 inch Unverferth wheel extension, which gave me an additional 8 inches in rear wheel stance. I think it's around 65 inches from the outside to outside of the tires with the extensions installed and the wheels turned out. It did improve the overall stability. If I had to do it over again I might go with 6 inch extensions. You might also want to consider what your implement or front loader bucket width is to gauge what width you want. Below is a pic of my 3520 with the extensions installed. As far as I know the 4000 series are somewhat wider stance and more stabile.

Sincerely, Dirt

P1010794.jpg

/ 3000 vs 4000 series for stability #5  
dirt, I wish you'd quit flashing pics of that tractor, I'm spending all my money on new keyboards cause I drool all over it every time I see your machine. kinda makes my little 2305 look like a kids toy.

/ 3000 vs 4000 series for stability #6  
Dirt, I was wondering with those 4" x2 wheel spacers, how much more of a slope do you think you are able to traverse, in real numbers. That picture shows a small slope but you can go alot more than that, right?

/ 3000 vs 4000 series for stability #7  
JiminGa, my apposigises for the tractor ****. I'll try to keep the photos to a minimum.

Superduper,hmmmmmmmm. I don't really have any real stats for side slope before and after. I know that a place I mowed with my old JD870 w/ JD25Aflailmower without even thinking about it had the 3520's right wheel off the ground 5 or 6 inches with the same mower without the extensions. Hench the need for the wheel extensions. I can now mow that area with the 3520 with caution. I'll have to measure the side slope and post back. As I said: I would probably go with 6 inch extensions if I had it to do over.

BTW, that slight slope in the pic is considered level ground here in West Virginia.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ 3000 vs 4000 series for stability #8  
Ha, keep the **** coming. The rest of us can handle it!

As for the slope thing, yeah it would be great to see a pic of the slope that gave you trouble before/after. As you've probably noticed, many of us folks are curious about that and you have the perfect answer for us: A picture of a slope we SHOULDN'T traverse, and one we should be able to do with caution (with 8" worth of extensions, of course). How in the world did you keep the tractor upright after the wheel came up 6"???

Also, you might not know but do you think that your cab makes a noticeable reduction in the sloping capability vs the open cab?

/ 3000 vs 4000 series for stability #9  
I climbed out on the up hill side and then had my son get our Cat287 MTL and hooked a stretch strap on the upper side axle. Then had my son pull me backwards slowly as I eased the rearend up hill. I was amazed when I first exited the tractor and found the right rear off the ground. The only reason I stopped............something just didn't feel right.

Sincerely, Dirt

I'm no stranger to slopes, but different tractors will handle different conditions. Also the same tractor won't handle the same slope under slightly different conditions. If that makes any sense. I could take my old JD870 places I would never even consider taking the JD3520.

Here is a slope of 32.6 degrees. You don't even want to think of mowing this with the slightest hint of dew.

P1010040.jpg

/ 3000 vs 4000 series for stability #10  
I used to do that with an old murray lawn tractor many years ago and rode it bicycle style hanging, twisting and leaning to keep the tractor upright as I mowed. When it quit, I "upgraded" to a craftsman garden tractor but immediately found it much less comfortable. For one, the tractor was taller and felt tippier but mostly because I could no longer lean or stand as the ergonomics didn't permit it and the operator presence switch in the seat would cut out the motor every time. When doing so, the slope was nowhere even close to what is depicted in this picture.

I've seen that picture several times and every time I see it, I always think that it must be some trick. I'm looking at it now and I still can't believe it. What is even more amazing is that any operator would have the b*lls to ride out there. Dirt, you are a better man than me, I'm afraid to admit.