2520 Mechanical Diverter for independent lift mid-mount mower/loader

/ 2520 Mechanical Diverter for independent lift mid-mount mower/loader #1  

randyvl

Tractor
2008 JD 2520 ....Retired-->1943 Farmal A w/ 72" Woods MMM
I am looking at getting a 2520 w/ FEL and 62" MMM.

Question I have, is it worth the extra $$ to get the Independent lift kit for mid-mount mower/loader?

/ 2520 Mechanical Diverter for independent lift mid-mount mower/loader #2  
I've just bought a 2320 with the 62 MMM, and I have been considering this same issue. As I'll be adding the FEL shortly, I am not clear in how the stock arrangement works. Does one use the height adjustment dial to "lock" the deck in the fully up position, while still allowing the 3 PT. to be used with the position control? I see that as a benefit when using the iMatch to hook up/unhook the ballast box for quick loader work that wouldn't otherwise require dismounting the MMM. If the above is correct, what does the independent lift kit gain me?

/ 2520 Mechanical Diverter for independent lift mid-mount mower/loader #3  
I bought a 2520 without the independent lift. There is a frame under the tractor that holds the deck on. If you remove the mower deck the frame remains. Then whenever you lower the 3 pt the frame also lowers into the dirt. I took the frame off. I bought the drive over deck, thinking this would speed up changing from tractor mode to mower mode. But with having to remove the frame I do not feel so good about the speed to change modes. It takes 5 minutes ish, so it is not huge, just not handy. Is the independent lift worthe te money? That is personal. I say no but I'm cheap!

/ 2520 Mechanical Diverter for independent lift mid-mount mower/loader #4  
The frame itself isn't that heavy, you should be able to keep it up with some sturdy cable ties around the tractor frame without removing it (unless you need the backhoe, in which case it needs to come off).

I have the independent lift kit installed, but I put a pair of SCVs in the back prior to the release of the diverter kit. This allows me to use the loader with the mower installed (I don't mow with it on, but it makes it so I don't need to remove the mower to use the loader) plus I've got an extra set for a hydraulic toplink. I'd still like the diverter kit for when I add a front-mounted device like a plow or a grapple, but in a pinch it should also work with the mower lift kit.

/ 2520 Mechanical Diverter for independent lift mid-mount mower/loader #5  
The frame itself isn't that heavy, you should be able to keep it up with some sturdy cable ties around the tractor frame without removing it (unless you need the backhoe, in which case it needs to come off).

This is what I do on my 4110, just tie up the arms with cable ties. I only remove the arms to attach my snowplow.

/ 2520 Mechanical Diverter for independent lift mid-mount mower/loader #6  
JD sells a "lock-up" kit for the mowers without independent lift. It consists of two brackets bolted to the rear fender braces, with chains that hang straight down and engage the tabs on the rear of the MMM lift mechanism.

You raise the mower, attach the chains, then, you can raise/lower the three-point hitch without the mower deck (or just the mounting frame, if you've removed the deck) moving.

Given the simplicity of that solution, the independent lift didn't seem like a good idea to me, particularly since it has to be removed to install the backhoe.