Backhoe 2305 rotating seat for backhoe work

/ 2305 rotating seat for backhoe work #1  

raykos

Silver Member
Tractor
JD2305
Hi all,

I'm posting this here and in the general forum, so I apologize if I'm not supposed to; but, this problem has been bothering me. Recently, I've been experincing dull shoulder pain, and since I didn't do any heavy work during the past months,(didn't even have to shovel any snow), I couldn't figure out what was causing it; so I attributed the pain to maybe arthritis and or growing old(65). So I've just been taking some aspirin, "toughing it through", thinking it will go away, and maybe schedule a DR.'s appointment if it gets worse. Well, it's worse and come Mon. morning I will be making that appointment; and I think I know what may be a probable cause.

I've been wanting to run a power line to my shed to get some lights in there, and I want to run the line through some buried conduit, which means digging a trench. Today the weather was beautiful and the ground wasn't muddy, so terrific, going to get some seat time! Well, I got the tractor in position and went to lift and rotate the seat for backhoe work, and almost fell on the ground because the pain in my shoulder was unbelievable!

I just bought this tractor last year and this seat has been nothing but trouble. I remembered at the end of last season when I was taking the backhoe off to store it, my shoulder hurt after fighting with the seat; but I forgot about it. Now, I'm wondering, was that the start of this shoulder problem?

When I mentioned how much I disliked this seat to my dealer, he said something to the effect that it will just take some getting used to.

OK, I'm new to tractoring, maybe it is me. Well, now I'm starting to think otherwise. Why should I spend thousands of dollars and have to "get used to" a poorly designed seat!? Has anyone else had similar problems with "lifting and rotating" this seat? I have tried to think of different ways to lift it up and rotate, even stand or kneel in a different position, but there is just no way, it has to be done with nothing but your shoulders and arms, and you really have to jerk the seat upwards before it will rotate.

If anybody has a "lift and rotate" type of seat, is it normal to have to fight with it and tear your shoulder up? This 2305 is a sweet machine, but I'm really beginning to dread having to lift & rotate this seat, worrying about the frustration and pain it causes me. I'm also worried about the pain and frustration causing me to do something dumb(I am human), like operate the backhoe while not proberly seated and straped in!

So, if anybody has any suggestions or ideas about what I can do, I'd appreciate them?

Thanks,
Ray

/ 2305 rotating seat for backhoe work #2  
I watched a contractor with a Case tractor yesterday put rocks in place and he was able to just spin his seat back and forth without getting up at all. Maybe there is a retrofit out there.

Not sure how far you're digging, but it might be simpler to find someone with a horizontal drill to pull a conduit for you. I snagged a Comcast subcontractor that was working in my area to come and drill and pull condiut 75 feet for me (it was under asphalt so I didn't want to dig). I paid him $200 and that included the seamless orange conduit and pull rope. He told me to use PVC compression fittings to join to what I already had in the diggable area. I did and it works great. I ran underground cable through it just because I'm way too cautious.

That would be cheaper than the doctor and drugs you'll be needing...

This would cost too much unless they were already in the area like when I found them. But with Verizon laying FIOS fiber all over the country it shouldn't be too hard to find one who wants some extra money.

/ 2305 rotating seat for backhoe work #3  
Maybe a little lube on the seat pivot might make it easier to swap positions?