JD rotary cutters.

/ JD rotary cutters. #1  

exiled

Silver Member
Some guys and I where talking about bushhogging and cutters. I simpley said I like my MX6. I was quickly mocked that JD did'nt build it they just put their name on. Now I've heard all my life that JD did'nt build their bushhogs.
However on the JD Rotary cutters book on the MX,HX,and CX cutters it has a section talking about JD designing it with the pro/E system at the JD Welland Works design and manufacturing facility. It also talks about JD testing it and blah, blah. I just wonder if JD really built these cutters. I'm not going to dislike my cutter if they did'nt. Cause in fact I really like it. I was looking at the MXs then priced them and almost pasted out when I was told the price. I looked them over pretty good. I went and looked over the King Cutters and Kodiaks. They had better prices. I did'nt like them like I did the MXs. The MXs seem alot more stout. I dont think it'll cut any better than the others I just liked it better and so far its the best bushhog I've used.
Does anybody know if JD is building these cutters or are they contracted.

/ JD rotary cutters. #2  
Quite frequently a manufacturer will design a product and determine specifications, then outsource the work.
This is due to several factors, cost being the main one. It may be labor costs or something as simple as the manufacturer does not have the facilities to make the part. I work in a foundry. Most of my customers do not do foundry work so they source the work to companies that do castings.

Deere cutters may be made inhouse, or sourced out..but they are made to Deere specs.

As an example, my 790 is made by Yanmar...but it isn't a Yanmar tractor....it's a Deere. It's just not made at a Deere plant. And I'll wager Yanmar sources out many of the components.

/ JD rotary cutters.
Roy I understand all that. I'm asking if the MXs are inhouse or contracted. I've searched it myself. I can find everthing but where they are built. My cutter did'nt come with a owner's manual my saleman could'nt find out if it should or not. So I cant look to see where it was built or who handle the warranty. Even thouh I suspect even if it is contracted out JD would still cover the warranty.
It's not real impoertant I would just like to know. I think its neat knowing where things are built and by whom.

/ JD rotary cutters. #4  
exiled said:
Roy I understand all that. I'm asking if the MXs are inhouse or contracted. I've searched it myself. I can find everthing but where they are built. My cutter did'nt come with a owner's manual my saleman could'nt find out if it should or not. So I cant look to see where it was built or who handle the warranty. Even thouh I suspect even if it is contracted out JD would still cover the warranty.
It's not real impoertant I would just like to know. I think its neat knowing where things are built and by whom.

exiled:

The country in which the implement is manufactured ordinarily appears on the serial number plate. To the best of my knowledge, the MX and HX series are still manufactured at the Welland Works.

Here is a link to the on-line owners manual http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMW49746_19/

Hope this helps.

/ JD rotary cutters. #6  
From the John Deere web site:

Canada

John Deere Welland Works
P. O. Box 430
Welland, Ontario, L3B 3N3
CANADA
-- Rotary Cutters, Loaders, and Gator Utility Vehicles

John Deere - Deere Worldwide

/ JD rotary cutters. #7  
19977 said:
The gear box on my MX-6 says made in Spain
I imagine the gearbox was made in Spain.

/ JD rotary cutters. #8  
Most JD gearboxes are built in the JD factory in Iberica, Spain. It's been that way for as long as I can remember.

MX cutters and TS/TX/6X4 Gators are built in Welland, CA.

/ JD rotary cutters. #9  
honestly, I have always believed the up side to buying a JD rotary cutter is life expectancy. If you look at the quality of build, it's far better built than alot of the others and you'll get alot more use out of it before the deck rusts out. with that said, I also believe Bush Hog builds very good cutters too. price is close between the two, there are others that build top quality cutters as well i.e. Kuhn, woods, etc.

/ JD rotary cutters.
Jim thanks for the link to the manual. I did'nt think about looking on the JD site for it. I thought it was nuts that my saleman did'nt have a manual and did'nt know if it was suppose to have one or not.

I knew wellend was canada I was'nt sure if they still made the cutters there or not. Through the years there has been alot of changes at that plant and to be honest I have'nt kept that close of an eye on it. Thanks guys it appears that JD builds its own cutters{most part any way}. I rather my cutter coming from Canada than....... well I bet you can fill it in.