Tires Windshield Washer Fluid In 4120 Tires...

/ Windshield Washer Fluid In 4120 Tires... #1  

ditchseeder

Tractor
2007 JD 7720, 2007 JD 5225, (2) 2008 JD 4120's, JD 4255, JD 5' Z-trak coming (model # unknown)
We just got 2 new 4120 tractors, traded a 4710 off for them. Anyhow dealer has suggested filling the tires with washer fluid for weight, how full do the tires need to be? Have a decent price for 55 gal. drums of it, would one of those per tire be enough? I quick figured the volume and 1 drum per tire would get it just about half full. Any thoughts or ideas? I'll have some pictures tomorrow of the new toys...

Thanks,

Ryan

/ Windshield Washer Fluid In 4120 Tires... #2  
When filling a tire, you never want to have any air pocket exposed to the rim. Any liquid which could rust the rim will have the air (oxidizer) in contact with the metal surface thereby potentially ruining the rim.

Liquid in the tire should always cover the rim entirely, if it does not you are inviting trouble.

/ Windshield Washer Fluid In 4120 Tires... #3  
If you do a general internet search you can find a couple of different charts that show fluid capacity by tire size. Tire shops use the same charts when they use their "calcium pumps" to fill them.

I was concerned about corrosion and had tubes put in to keep the fluid away from the rims. Tubes for small tires are pretty cheap. And since my tires were so small, and I am so paranoid about corrosion, I used RV antifreeze. My cousin used to do tires and he was leary of washer fluid. I couldn't find beat juice locally.

Great way to add ballast.