Oil & Fuel Fuel consumption on a 2320

/ Fuel consumption on a 2320 #1  

bxowner

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 5055e
I'm going through diesel like crazy - and at 3.997 a gallon, it's getting expensive. I have 18 hours - and have filled the tank several times. If I had to guess, I'd say I've gone through 18 gallons in that time.

I bought a 6 cyl car two years ago. It only averaged 20 mpg until I racked up about 7000 miles on it. Then the avg. jumped to 27 mpg.

Should I expect the same of the tractor? i.e. after 50 hours, the fuel consumption will drop significantly?

No, it's not leaking. Nor am I running it hard - just idling it for 5 minutes to warm up, then at 2500 rpm for snow removal.

/ Fuel consumption on a 2320 #2  
I've got a 2305 which has the same engine as the 2320 and I noticed that the fuel economy did seem to improve around the time of my 50 hour service. Not sure if the service helped or it was just getting broken in around that time but it did seem to get better. Also I assume a diesel is similar to a gas engine where it will get better fuel economy in warmer weather. I would say that my average fuel consumption when mowing is approximately .75 gallons per hour. I mow at around 2400-2500 rpm, not at rated pto speed.

Hopefully your machine will show the same improvement that mine did.

/ Fuel consumption on a 2320 #3  
I only have 8 hours on a 2320 and have gone through about 8 gallons, so your gallon per hour experience is similar to mine.

neil

/ Fuel consumption on a 2320 #5  
Early on, my 4010 was running about 0.54 gallon/hr. Overall, it's averaging 0.46 gallon/hr.

The figures I see on the 2320 is why I hope that they come out with another, say 1820, before I want to replace my 18.5 hp 4010. That likely won't be until about 2014 or so. So, maybe JD will catch on to the fact that diesel is about double the price of only a couple years ago by that time.

Ralph

/ Fuel consumption on a 2320 #6  
2305 here. I have found that running at less than PTO rated speed, even when mowing, makes a really big difference in my fuel usage. If I set the engine speed at around 2500-2600 rpm, I notice no difference in routine mowing, but use at lease 1/3 less fuel. When doing non-mowing chores such as snow removal, spreading manure, light loader work, I like to run at around 2100 rpm. Yes, the loader does work slowly, but if I'm not working the thing really hard, it saves a lot of fuel.

/ Fuel consumption on a 2320 #7  
I have 16 hours on my 2320 Iam happy with the fuel economy Plus The diesel Is so quiet ! I have only burnt around 8 galllons in mine Thats Plowing Mulching leaves lugging trees around Plus Tilling & discing Gardens To me It burns less than my 2305 !I keep A chart On mine when I put fuel in it & The hours ! The last time I put fuel in mine was March 2 & I only burned A half a tank ! I think that is pretty good !

/ Fuel consumption on a 2320 #8  
Economy and overall engine performance will get better as the engine breaks in and the rings seat. It's amazing to watch a new tractor on a dyno pull one max HP, then 30-min later pull several more HP, and so on as it breaks in. The best thing you can do for a new tractor is hook up something to the PTO and work the snot out of it.

/ Fuel consumption on a 2320 #9  
I have 3 hours on my new 2305, and have used almost 3 gallons.... 1-1 ratio.. hope it improves for mowing season with diesel at$4.29/gal in Pittsburgh!:eek:

/ Fuel consumption on a 2320 #10  
go to jd page, click on 2320 specs and scroll down to

Fuel System

Type ---

Injection Pump Type Indirect Injection

U.S. gal./hr (L/hr) @ 100% load* 1.6 (6.1)

*Fuel consumption rate should be used for comparison purposes only. ---