Beavertail or flatbed trailer for 2320??

/ Beavertail or flatbed trailer for 2320?? #1  

2305JD

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2520
Okay guys one more question.

Anybody have comments on a beavertail or flatbed trailer for loading a 2320. I would think the flatbed is more useful but the other is easier to load.

The flatbed is 23" to the top of the deck and the beaver tail is at 19". They told me the beavertail is a $100 option but would sell either one for the same price.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mario

/ Beavertail or flatbed trailer for 2320?? #2  
I think you are talking about a 2' dove tail. (Example 16' flat + 2' tail =18' trailer) Dove tails are non moving, beaver tails are on larger trailers like 14K GVW. Usually 5' beavertails which you can raise to a up position for a flat deck. My opinion go with the dove tail, makes loading a car or truck easier if needed sometime in the future. Plan ahead for future uses and buy once.

/ Beavertail or flatbed trailer for 2320??
Newt92,

Yes a dovetail. It's actually a total of 16' though, 14' flat and 2' dovetail. I think I agree with you on future planning since I'm now looking to buy trailer #3 and hopefully last one. this is why I want to be sure not to make a mistake again. The full 16' flat looks more usuable for utility purposes but the 14' + 2' dove (16' total) looks easier to load a vehicle. Especially if I buy that toy convertible I've always wanted. I just havent told my wife that part yet. I'm just basing it all on needing a bigger toy, i mean tool for now.

thanks...

/ Beavertail or flatbed trailer for 2320?? #4  
If you plan to haul a car, I would look no shorter than 18' (16+2). I have a 14+2, 18+2 bumper pulls, and a 20+5 gooseneck. Also keep in mind, the longer the trailer the better you can position the load. Trailers are like a building a shop, its never big enough!

/ Beavertail or flatbed trailer for 2320?? #5  
I have a 16x6.5 7K 2 axle 'utility' trailer. So, 16 feet of flat. It is great for everything BUT loading/unloading cars. I need to use a bunch of dunage to help the approach and break-over angles of my split gate/ramp, which works fine for tractors and lanscape equipment, and my trailer has welded siderails which preclude opening the car door to allow ingress/egress.:(

So far I have only loaded cars that cannot propel themselves and are not nice, but with the 1500lb winch:) I have on it I have been able to painfully and slowly load these cars without incident. 2 weeks ago loaded a roller 90's Camaro and it BARELY allowed the gate/ramp to be towed (pinned in upright position). But it did work.

Mine has 4 very heavy welded tie-down loops on the frame - I highly recommend these (actually 6 would be better). Bottom line I recommend a 16+2 dove tail wooden deck open trailer with slide-in 8 (or more) foot ramps, unless you do alot of wood/mulch/yard debris hauling - then a trailer like mine is great and you suck it up to haul cars . . .