Grading Front Blade Experiences

/ Front Blade Experiences #1  

cerescobra

I've been lurking here for the last few weeks. I'm about to buy a new tractor and am currently trying to decide between a 2320 and a 2520. With either, I plan to install a front blade in the winter to move snow (W. Michigan location). Can any of you give me your opinions of the functionality of the front blade? I would also like to use it for some minor grading of a short dirt road behind my house and for some landscaping. My rationale for the front blade vs. rear 3pt mounted blade is for snow removal, I think I'd get a kink in my neck if turned around to watch the blade path. Also, thought it would be better to not have to drive over the snow, packing it down, before scraping it to the side of the driveway. I've been told the blade (with hydraulic control) has limited angle abililty and limited height range. Is this really a problem? Before making this investment, I would appreciate advice from those that have experience with a front blade installation.

If I'm totally off base, please advise rationale for a different approach.

Thanks!

Chuck

/ Front Blade Experiences #2  
Welcome to TBN Chuck:D

The front blade is a great snow-mover, and they are well suited for these tractors. Most will agree the only problem with them is that they are to narrow! JD seems to not want to make a 60" blade for the compacts even though they clearly have the power to use them...There are a few who have made "wings" to extend the blade with great success, and JD used to make x-tensions and may still...
The stock blade is 54", but when it's angled the 30*, it's only about 48" wide-just barley wider that the tractor depending with tires you get.

/ Front Blade Experiences #3  
Upfront Disclaimer: While I have a 2520 and a front blade, I haven't actually had it on the machine yet (not much snow this winter).

However, from what I've seen of it, it doesn't look hefty enough to do much grading with. If I were going to grade for a road, I would invest in a box blade, or at least a rear blade. I believe the three-point hitch is better suited to this type of work.

/ Front Blade Experiences #4  
Good call Runner, I did forget to address this in my reply...And I agree 100%. The front blades are not designed to be dozers, you may be able to spread loose/light material like mulch, but leave the dirt grading to a rear mounted blade or box blade.

/ Front Blade Experiences #5  
cerescobra, I think the front blade is one of the best attachments you can get for your tractor. You can move a lot of material with the front blade if it is loose. They really don't cut original ground all that well, although they will cut a couple of inches at a time. When used in conjunction with a roto tiller you can move quite a bit of dirt.
The front blades work well at the tasks you mentioned. Lanscaping, light road grading and snow removal. One thing to keep in mind is that the front blade mounts are not compatible with the loader mounts without modification. One advantage the front blade has over a 3pt implement is you can get down pressure to cut some dirt or scrape packed snow off a paved surface. The blade I have on my 3520 has plenty of angle capability and I've not felt that it didn't angle enough. I modified my loader mounts so that I can switch back and forth between my loader and blade in about 5 minutes.

Sincerely, Dirt

P1010840.jpg

/ Front Blade Experiences #6  
Just a note DWE, The front quick hitch that the 54" blade mounts on (on the 2305,2320, and 2520) does not go back to the mid frame like yours, and is really not recomended for dirt, I don't even think you can lock the trip springs out on the 54" blade...

/ Front Blade Experiences #7  
kennyd, thanks for the update. If the blade can not locked solid it would be almost totally worthless for moving material. Thanks for setting me straight.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ Front Blade Experiences #8  
dirtworkeqpt you should research some before telling someone the 54" does not lock in place ! This makes my 3rd tractor 425,2210 and no 2305 all with front blade They all have locked and as the others have said with down pressure and either the use of a tiller or box blade to loosen the dirt you can do a lot of ground work.
In appx 5 hrs one weekend I pushed 2-25 ton loads of top soil about 50-75 ' in my daughters back yard and the rest of the day with the help of a rear mounted tiller dug up an area to put in a deck and sidewalk of 40'x 25' and down appx 1in to as much as 15 on the deepest side the 40' length.
and with the 2305 I have added 6" sides increase the plowing with.

Yes very happy with what you can do with the front blade
With the extra width when blade is angled it will drag so far not enough to make me take the extra sides off

/ Front Blade Experiences #9  
etcallhome. errrrrrrrrrr............if you back up a little. You will see it was not me that said the blades do not lock in place. I said, "IF the blade can not lock solid it would be almost totally worthless."

Dirt