Ballast Ideas for my new Ballast Box

/ Ideas for my new Ballast Box #1  

mkoreen

Tractor
John Deere 2305
Hi all. After reading the 100 or so posts on Ballast Boxes, I have decided to make my own... The $200+ JD ballast box is good looking and functional, but being a carpenter, I decided to make my own forms and pour concrete...

Now the question: I am going to end up with a big peice of rock. besides adding PVC tubes and a recess for tools, painting JD green etc... I was thinking of using one of those aluminum 12x18 embossed signs (you know nothing runs like a deere + JD logo) to spice it up. if I put my sign in the form, it should come out in the concrete right? my neighbor thinks It'll never come out right... if i tap on the form (aka vibrate) it should look great right?

Any thoughts, suggestions, alternative ideas etc?

/ Ideas for my new Ballast Box #2  
Yes, a couple of thoughts, first don't use pvc, if it breaks your kinda stuck, I did mine with pvc and after realized I should of used steel, put a couple of 4" pipes and a couple of 2" pipes, with the larger pipes you can put a chain saw in or a hand held leaf blower.
Also maybe a receiver tube, not for serious towing cause then you wouldn't need the weight but just for moving something around the yard, plus there are so many acs now that go in the 2" receiver.
JB,

Attachments

• P8229599.JPG
    P8229599.JPG
    422.1 KB · Views: 690
  • PA110009.JPG
    PA110009.JPG
    455.3 KB · Views: 536
   / Ideas for my new Ballast Box
JB4310 said:
Yes, a couple of thoughts, first don't use pvc, if it breaks your kinda stuck, I did mine with pvc and after realized I should of used steel, put a couple of 4" pipes and a couple of 2" pipes, with the larger pipes you can put a chain saw in or a hand held leaf blower.
Also maybe a receiver tube, not for serious towing cause then you wouldn't need the weight but just for moving something around the yard, plus there are so many acs now that go in the 2" receiver.
JB,

Great ideas! yeah the steel pipe will add lil more weight too! thanks!

/ Ideas for my new Ballast Box #4  
Don't make it to crazy heavy, there's a poster here that just recently made his twice as heavy as his 3 pt was rated for, now he has to find a place to bury it.
You can still start with the stock ballast box and customise it from there.

/ Ideas for my new Ballast Box #5  
JB4310 said:
Don't make it to crazy heavy, there's a poster here that just recently made his twice as heavy as his 3 pt was rated for, now he has to find a place to bury it.
You can still start with the stock ballast box and customise it from there.

Hey John,

Good work, looks good. By the way, is that Shindaiwa chain saw I saw in the second pic? If so, how do you like it. couple of months ago I bought one, it well built and actually spec better than Stihl in my opinion.

JC,

/ Ideas for my new Ballast Box #6  
How ya doin JC,
No it's a little husky I inherited from my buddies dad, this one is a little temperamental and tired but still runs decent, I have heard good things about the Shindaiwa. I'll tell you if I had to get a new one I would stick with these little saws, they can handle most everyday tasks perfectly fine and they're so light, I have a fairly large husky (just below serious lumberjack status) I acquired thru a barter with a husky company representative that I worked for, didn't really need it and have hardly used it but I couldn't pass up the deal, he gave me all kinds of goodies with it, like extra chains and bars plus all kinds of safety gear and oils. it's kind of a shame it just sits on a shelf.
BTW I rolled the 1700 out of it's cold storage for the winter and she fired right up, after just 2 partial starts. in your avatar your front end looks real wide, did you stretch it?

/ Ideas for my new Ballast Box #7  
JB4310 said:
How ya doin JC,

BTW I rolled the 1700 out of it's cold storage for the winter and she fired right up, after just 2 partial starts. in your avatar your front end looks real wide, did you stretch it?

Doing okay John,:)

I did the same with my 1700 and she just perked up from winer hibernation with about 15 seconds of glow plug. I added another front wheel weight from NH ($60 for a 60 lbs suitcase). I have not widened the front any, it is the way I bought it. I don't have front ag tire and makes it look wider.

JC,

dsc03613iy2.jpg

/ Ideas for my new Ballast Box #8  
mkoreen said:
I was thinking of using one of those aluminum 12x18 embossed signs (you know nothing runs like a deere + JD logo) to spice it up. if I put my sign in the form, it should come out in the concrete right? my neighbor thinks It'll never come out right... if i tap on the form (aka vibrate) it should look great right?

Any thoughts, suggestions, alternative ideas etc?

Neat idea to add some "Art" to theBallast Box. I say give it a shot, after all what've you got to lose.

I would suggest that you may want to use use a thin layer of either straight portland cement, or patching cement (faster), or even some thinset morter over the embossed sign first, then pour the rest of the box after it has set a little. This should give you better detail.

Even when you vibrate, there could be some aggregate in the concrete that will interfere with a good impression (voids etc...). You may also want to add some sort of release agent to the sign. Cooking oil spray may work, but you may want to try some tests first.

To make sure you have a good bond between the embossed section, and the rest of the concrete, pour the embossed section as I have suggested, then when it has cured a bit, scratch the surface with a plastic fork to give it a tooth to lock in with the concrete.

You should add some steel wire to your "rock" to strengthen it. Otherwise it could just break apart.

PVC vs. Steel Tubes? I'd still use PVC, and then only as removeable forms to make holes in the concrete. Also be sure to add drain holes to your holes, or make them go straight through with no bottom.

Be sure to post pictures when you are done!

/ Ideas for my new Ballast Box
cadblaster01 said:
Neat idea to add some "Art" to theBallast Box. I say give it a shot, after all what've you got to lose.

Be sure to post pictures when you are done!

Bill,
Great reply! Thanks for the tips.. I'm ready to give it a shot! I have form release, so no problem there.... I have welded plenty of rebar to make a nice cage. I got stainless 1" rod for the lower hitch points and have 45 degree corners all around to resist chipping later on...
Hopefully the sign comes out nice and I can seal & paint and take some pics for yall.

Michael

/ Ideas for my new Ballast Box #10  
All of your ideas sound great. I just poured one about a month ago. It is a lot like racer 71's. However, I did use pvc pipe to avoid rust, but I put couplers at the top, and then a small stub up from them. That way if one ever does break, you can chissel out the broken piece and just glue a new one back into the pvc coupler. Also, I poured a clevis into the top of mine to make picking it a little easier....Just some ideas, good luck.