Differential lock

/ Differential lock #1  

Ken Cunningham

Gold Member
Is the diff lock supposed to work in forward, or only reverse. My 1070 works fine in reverse but it just makes a clicking sound in forward gear. Only had it allittle more than a month and yesterday was the first time i got it stuck and needed to go forward instead of back.

/ Differential lock #2  
It is supposed to work in either direction. To engage you must be stopped or just barely spinning the tires. Otherwise you can damage the _______. (I can't remember what the part is called.) JC

/ Differential lock #3  
allen head differential bolts. I sheared mine right off by not using the dl properly.

/ Differential lock #4  
arrow said:
allen head differential bolts. I sheared mine right off by not using the dl properly.

Yeah, I did that once too, on my old 855. It was a VERY expensive lesson!

/ Differential lock
Im not a tractor mechanic, but I dont think anything has been sheared off. It does work in reverse, but doesnt quite wont to catch in forward. Does anyone here know exactly how the diff lock works, I cant tell from the line drawings in the tech manual. One thing I can tell from the manual is that it would be a major undertaking to replace the diff lock. I hope I dont get stuck and cant back out of it or Ill have to have to tow it out.

/ Differential lock #6  
If I remember, the lock only works when one wheel has lost traction. It disengages when there is proper traction again, unless you keep your foot on the lock pedal. Have you tried to use it when you actually had one wheel slipping?

/ Differential lock
Mike,

Yes one wheel had lost traction, actual one front and one back wheel. Tractor front wheels dig into soft soil I have very easily and then one front and one back is taking all the weight, you can actually rock the tractor by hand. I read the manual and understand how differential lock works by using the pedal. Like I posted earlier, it works fine in reverse.

/ Differential lock #8  
Ken, here is a tip from before differential lock was common on tractors. Can you split your brake pedals so you have left and right braking? If so, just press the brake for the spinning wheel and the other wheel will be forced to turn. You equalize the differential with the brake pedal. I've pulled myself out of many mudholes on an old Ferguson TO-20 and a Ford Jubilee by using the brake pedals.

I know your differential lock is supposed to work, but if it doesn't all is not lost.

/ Differential lock #9  
I hope you can figure it out, but just to be sure you know, The diff lock will not work on the front axle. JC

/ Differential lock #10  
Ken Cunningham said:
Mike,

Yes one wheel had lost traction, actual one front and one back wheel. Tractor front wheels dig into soft soil I have very easily and then one front and one back is taking all the weight, you can actually rock the tractor by hand. I read the manual and understand how differential lock works by using the pedal. Like I posted earlier, it works fine in reverse.

Not looking good then, is it? You do what your suppose to and it doesn't do what it's suppose to. On the bright side, you can't get yourself in so deep you can't back out. I hope you can fix it without too much expense.