HELP: Manual for 60-72" MMM for 4200-4400?

/ HELP: Manual for 60-72" MMM for 4200-4400? #1  

Wayne_H

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 4400, '48 B and 318
I'm still working to get my used 72" MMM mounted correctly on my 4400. It looks like nobody has a 4400 with a 72" MMM, but is there any chance anyone may have a 4200-4400 with either the 60 or 72" yellow MMM?

I have ordered the manual from Deere, but it will be 7-10 days to get it, since they print them up. The manual part number is OMM136072.

Thanks!

Wayne

have a JD 4400 and I recently bought a used 72 inch MMM for it. I have rebuilt the mower, and am trying to install it, but the manual I have is for the 7 Iron mower, not the yellow mower.

If somebody out there has a 72" MMM on a 4400, could you please let me know, I'd like to call you to ask a couple of questions.

1) There are two holes for the draft arms, does it go in the front or rear ones?
2) The plates that mount on the front have two positions, should it be slid towards the front or rear?

Anyway, my email is wayne@flymha.com. I'd appreciate it if anyone can help, I'd like to call you on the phone so I can get this taken care of soon.

Regarding the front brackets... There should have been marks on them from rust or being on the other machine, but I sand blasted them and repainted them....

I'm having a heck of a time getting the front/rear adjustment right regardless of where I place the draft arms or front plate!

Thanks

Wayne

/ HELP: Manual for 60-72" MMM for 4200-4400? #2  
Wayne_H said:
I'm still working to get my used 72" MMM mounted correctly on my 4400. It looks like nobody has a 4400 with a 72" MMM, but is there any chance anyone may have a 4200-4400 with either the 60 or 72" yellow MMM?

I have ordered the manual from Deere, but it will be 7-10 days to get it, since they print them up. The manual part number is OMM136072.

Thanks!

Wayne

have a JD 4400 and I recently bought a used 72 inch MMM for it. I have rebuilt the mower, and am trying to install it, but the manual I have is for the 7 Iron mower, not the yellow mower.

If somebody out there has a 72" MMM on a 4400, could you please let me know, I'd like to call you to ask a couple of questions.

1) There are two holes for the draft arms, does it go in the front or rear ones?
2) The plates that mount on the front have two positions, should it be slid towards the front or rear?

Anyway, my email is wayne@flymha.com. I'd appreciate it if anyone can help, I'd like to call you on the phone so I can get this taken care of soon.

Regarding the front brackets... There should have been marks on them from rust or being on the other machine, but I sand blasted them and repainted them....

I'm having a heck of a time getting the front/rear adjustment right regardless of where I place the draft arms or front plate!

Thanks

Wayne

Wayne did you also try ebay?

/ HELP: Manual for 60-72" MMM for 4200-4400? #3  
Wayne_H said:

Thanks!

Wayne

Thanks

Wayne

Wayne,

I just looked at the mounts on my 4300.

The pins in the draft arms go in the front holes on a 4300 and 4400.

The front mounts have the hook shaped part to the front/bottom and the front hole in the bracket aligns with the front hole in the tractor frame.

If you have a grill guard, you will have to remove it and discard the spacers since the front mower brackets are sandwiched between the grill guard and the frame.

/ HELP: Manual for 60-72" MMM for 4200-4400?
Jim:

Thanks for the reply. I'll send you a PM with another question.

Yes, I did check Ebay, no luck. I did find a "used" one, and it was $4.00 less than a new one, so I ordered the new one.

I think I have this thing all set. I am using the front holes, just to get it level the two front tubes are almost as short as possible, they are screwed in all the way, and the rear turnbuckles that actually lift it are not hanging straight down, they are angled forward maybe 20 degrees.

On a very good note, I called the dealer I bought the machine from six years ago. I spoke to the mechanic, and to my surprise he remembered coming to my place six years ago when the machine was new. He says, "Oh yea, I remember. How 'bout if I stop by Friday afternoon on the way back from the Eastern shore to take a quick look". Now that is service, and he won't even charge me. This is the dealer in Waldorf by the way, not the ones ten minutes away in Davidsonville.....

Wayne

/ HELP: Manual for 60-72" MMM for 4200-4400? #5  
Wayne_H said:
Jim:

Thanks for the reply. I'll send you a PM with another question.

Yes, I did check Ebay, no luck. I did find a "used" one, and it was $4.00 less than a new one, so I ordered the new one.

I think I have this thing all set. I am using the front holes, just to get it level the two front tubes are almost as short as possible, they are screwed in all the way, and the rear turnbuckles that actually lift it are not hanging straight down, they are angled forward maybe 20 degrees.

On a very good note, I called the dealer I bought the machine from six years ago. I spoke to the mechanic, and to my surprise he remembered coming to my place six years ago when the machine was new. He says, "Oh yea, I remember. How 'bout if I stop by Friday afternoon on the way back from the Eastern shore to take a quick look". Now that is service, and he won't even charge me. This is the dealer in Waldorf by the way, not the ones ten minutes away in Davidsonville.....

Wayne

Wayne,

My turnbuckles are vertical. I have some threads showing on the two adjustable angled rods in the front - two or three inches at least. If the rear draft arms are in the front holes, and the mower is sitting on the ground, and the turnbuckles are not vertical, you may have an issue with the center mounts or the lift points to which the turnbuckles attach. Are you sure that you have the correct mower for the tractor?

Jim:

Thanks for the input. Yea... Well, it came off of a 4300, I do know that. The only way I can get my turnbuckles in the back to be verticle is if I put the swing arms in the holes closer to the rear. My mid mounts really have no options as far as where they go as you know, and the rear rockshaft mount can only go into the four holes they provide. It's almost like my front plates need to go back one inch or so, but that is not an option unless I make my own up, which I may do.

If I get the turnbuckes right, then when it is level I have about two threads left in the front/back adjusting arms. It's like they need to be longer or something.

Any chance you might be able to send me a picture? And when raised, how much of the splined shaft for the mid pto shows? That will clue me in more as to where this should fit front to back. When I have it in the rear holes, (with the turnbuckles level) there is almost no spline showing. When I have it in the front holes I have 5-6 inches of spline showing for the mid pto shaft.

My email is wayne@flymha.com

Thanks!

wayne

/ HELP: Manual for 60-72" MMM for 4200-4400? #7  
Wayne_H said:
Jim:

Thanks for the input. Yea... Well, it came off of a 4300, I do know that. The only way I can get my turnbuckles in the back to be verticle is if I put the swing arms in the holes closer to the rear. My mid mounts really have no options as far as where they go as you know, and the rear rockshaft mount can only go into the four holes they provide. It's almost like my front plates need to go back one inch or so, but that is not an option unless I make my own up, which I may do.

If I get the turnbuckes right, then when it is level I have about two threads left in the front/back adjusting arms. It's like they need to be longer or something.

Any chance you might be able to send me a picture? And when raised, how much of the splined shaft for the mid pto shows? That will clue me in more as to where this should fit front to back. When I have it in the rear holes, (with the turnbuckles level) there is almost no spline showing. When I have it in the front holes I have 5-6 inches of spline showing for the mid pto shaft.

My email is wayne@flymha.com

Thanks!

wayne

Wayne,

I don't think that you need to worry about the angles of the turnbuckles as long as they lift the mower. The tops will move forward when the rockshaft rotates. Just take it slow and easy and check everything the first time that you lift it.

5 or 6 inches of spline showing is likely ok when the mower is down. Just make sure that you don't compress the pto shaft when you lift the mower.

There should be a little bit of effort required to lock the front mount, giving you a slight pull toward the front.

I connect the pto shaft, then the rear draft arms to the front holes of the rear mounting brackets (the rear holes are used when mounting on a 4200 which has a shorter frame than the 4300 and 4400). Then I hang the front mount in the hooks, connect the two adjustable rods to the mower using the j pins, and lift the handle of the front mount, allowing the pin to slide into the hole in the bracket. The last thing that I hook up is the two turnbuckles.

Next, lift the mower and set the stop so that the wheels are slightly off of the ground.

I don't have the mower out yet, but I'll try to get some pictures this weekend.

Jim:

Thanks for the help. The local (60 mile away...) mechanic stopped by on the way home from another call today, and said all looks good. I'm still curious as to when you get yours on it this spring if it looks like this. I'm probably worrying about nothing. You maybe can see in the pics that the deck stops don't line up 100% with the deck reinforcements, but if I put the two swing arms in the rear holes they do. But then the PTO is too tight, and I have to unscrew the threads almost all the way on the front adjusters to make it level.

Here I hope is a pic or two to see it better.

Wayne

Attachments

• Deck.jpg
    Deck.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 230
  • Deck2.jpg
    Deck2.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 211
   / HELP: Manual for 60-72" MMM for 4200-4400? #9  
Wayne_H said:
Jim:

Thanks for the help. The local (60 mile away...) mechanic stopped by on the way home from another call today, and said all looks good. I'm still curious as to when you get yours on it this spring if it looks like this. I'm probably worrying about nothing. You maybe can see in the pics that the deck stops don't line up 100% with the deck reinforcements, but if I put the two swing arms in the rear holes they do. But then the PTO is too tight, and I have to unscrew the threads almost all the way on the front adjusters to make it level.

Here I hope is a pic or two to see it better.

Wayne

Wayne,

I finally got the mower hooked up last night. The angle of the linkage that connects the deck to the rockshaft appears to be pretty much the same as in the picture that you posted.

/ HELP: Manual for 60-72" MMM for 4200-4400? #10  
You can buy most any $50 piece of electronics out there and go to the Customer Support section of the manufacturer's web site and immediately download the PDF file for the manual...for free.

But spend $3000 for an implement or tractor from Deere, etc and you must buy the manual for probably $40. Some of their stuff has downloadable files but not most.

It's poor service and a rip off and Deere should hear about it from its customers.