2320-Got Stuck Today!

/ 2320-Got Stuck Today! #1  

Pushing_Tin

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3320
I have 5 acres where my wife and I are building a house. There are about a dozen old Douglas Fir stumps that were cut about 30 years ago, and they are huge! Today I was digging at one for about 15 mintues going back and forth and ramming into it to loosen it. I soon realized that I couldn't move at all. The whole front axle was under the mud. I tried pulling it out with my truck but it wouldn't even budge. So I dug out the wheels and laid several large logs in front of the bucket so I could scissor my way out with the bucket. It took me about an hour and a half to finally get it out. I was only able to take a few pictures because the batteries in my camera were dead.

tractor.jpg

tractor2.jpg

stump2.jpg

/ 2320-Got Stuck Today! #2  
two things (not trying to be an @ss at, all just trying to help). Not sure how hard you're ramming with your loader but that's a good way to twist it up. Second, put some weight on the rear, not sure it woulda helped here cause that looks like pretty stick mud and your treads are filled, but you'll have better traction, and it'll be alot safer when you're playing with your loader.

/ 2320-Got Stuck Today! #3  
Yep--the rammin' with loader comment had me worried too! If you've got a lot of stumps to dig up a toothbar may help rip through the roots and stuff better than the bucket alone.

/ 2320-Got Stuck Today!
Well the tires have ballast, would you suggest putting more weight back there? This is my first tractor and ramming the stump probably isn't a real good idea. :(

/ 2320-Got Stuck Today! #5  
Pushing:

Yes, I wouldn't advise anything other than a light push with the loader. No running starts against a known fixed object... ;)

Regarding ballast. Yes, even with loaded tires if your using the loader you should use rear ballast to help even things out and take some weight off the front tires when the bucket is loaded. (Loaded tires don't do this).
The loader manual will recommend what weight to use.

The extra weight usually will help with traction a lot also.

/ 2320-Got Stuck Today!
orlo said:
Pushing:

Yes, I wouldn't advise anything other than a light push with the loader. No running starts against a known fixed object... ;)

Regarding ballast. Yes, even with loaded tires if your using the loader you should use rear ballast to help even things out and take some weight off the front tires when the bucket is loaded. (Loaded tires don't do this).
The loader manual will recommend what weight to use.

The extra weight usually will help with traction a lot also.

Well I took about 30 running starts at the stump, it was the only was to loosen it up in the ground so I could dig it out. Wish I had a backhoe!

/ 2320-Got Stuck Today! #7  
Pushing_Tin said:
Well I took about 30 running starts at the stump, it was the only was to loosen it up in the ground so I could dig it out. Wish I had a backhoe!
Only 30 running starts hmmm? You need a skidsteer my friend.

/ 2320-Got Stuck Today! #8  
I agree re the running starts. Pushing the FEL into the stump and trying to do a curl would work better than running at it.

Agree also that you need something on the 3ph. A brush hog hangs out a long ways back there but is a lot of weight because it sticks out a long ways and gives some leverage. Put SOMETHING back there, even if just a light back blade or other implement. Most compact thing for weight is a ballast box (I don't have one).

Why couldn't you lower the FEL with lip pointing down and curl it up to get the front wheels out? That plus if you'd had something on the back to give the rear wheels more tractor probably would have gotten you out. Did you try your differential lock? I've had the wheels spin many times. Stopping and hitting the differential lock got me out every time.

Ralph

/ 2320-Got Stuck Today!
RalphVa said:
I agree re the running starts. Pushing the FEL into the stump and trying to do a curl would work better than running at it.

Agree also that you need something on the 3ph. A brush hog hangs out a long ways back there but is a lot of weight because it sticks out a long ways and gives some leverage. Put SOMETHING back there, even if just a light back blade or other implement. Most compact thing for weight is a ballast box (I don't have one).

Why couldn't you lower the FEL with lip pointing down and curl it up to get the front wheels out? That plus if you'd had something on the back to give the rear wheels more tractor probably would have gotten you out. Did you try your differential lock? I've had the wheels spin many times. Stopping and hitting the differential lock got me out every time.

Ralph

The FEL is no match for these old fir stumps. Some of them weigh more than 1 ton, and the FEL just groans as it's just not strong enough to move it. That's why I was ramming into it, to loosen it up and then dig around it, to hopefully get it out.

The problem with using the FEL to get out was that there was a large deep area in front of the stump where I had been digging, so there was nothing to push against to get out. Plus the mud was like clay and had sucked the front end down. Even my 4x4 truck pulling, with the tractor in gear at WOT couldn't budge it. That's why I eventually laid large logs across the hole and used those to push off with the bucket. Once I got the front wheels up high I filled the hole in with gravel and sticks, then managed to get free.

/ 2320-Got Stuck Today! #10  
Your not stuck, you just think you are, next time just twist it out with a chain, take a heavy chain, attach it to the OUTSIDE of the rear wheel and the other end to a tree, put the tractor in reverse then VERY gently ease the thottle forward, the chain will start twisting and pull you backwards. DO NOT attach the chain to the inside around the axle. I've done this a bunch over the years.