Darned Impressed

/ Darned Impressed #1  

maut9r

Started tilling up my front yard to get nice grass started and to get rid of the (unwanted) pond. Tilling was a slow affair but the 790 handled the 60" tiller fine, just don't plan on going fast! Then hooked up 60" BB and started moving dirt and WOW! the pile of dirt I got in a short time was pretty impressive. I was trying to pull too far though, had dirt getting into rear tires and over the top of the blade, lol, heck I had to back up a couple times to get the box to lift so it would dump. Had it in 5th and 6th gear and it pulled the huge pile of dirt just fine.

I'm so glad I went with the bigger HP and didn't go for a hydro!

Now if I could shut it down long enough to shim that relief valve so the loader and 3-point will lift more.

/ Darned Impressed #2  
maut9r said:
Whoa, dude, you better put on the Nomex suit quick...

As soon as Hydro Patrol sees that statement, you're gonna be toast! Them's fightin' words to some of these guys...:eek:

:D :D :D

But, I agree with you 100%... I like gears much better for heavy work...

/ Darned Impressed #3  
I would think for constant ground contact implement use a gear machine would be better, especially with these CUTs.
JB, on the E-HYDRO PATROL.

/ Darned Impressed #4  
E-HYDRO PATROL

Hold on just one gosh darn minute.:mad: If it wasn't for E-Hydro, my chief cook and bottle washer probably wouldn't cut the 3 acre lawn for me!:eek: Thinking of her jamming gears brings a shutter to me. I remember those days long long ago when I attempted to teach her to drive a stick shift! :confused: Lets not go there again! Besides, if I am forced to cut the lawn, when would I have the time to hoist a few? E-HYDRO PATROL indeed.

/ Darned Impressed #5  
BigD9 said:
Hold on just one gosh darn minute.:mad: If it wasn't for E-Hydro, my chief cook and bottle washer probably wouldn't cut the 3 acre lawn for me!:eek: E-HYDRO PATROL indeed.

For lawn mowing I agree hydro is the only way to go, I was referring to plowing, box blading, tilling etc. JMO
JB,

/ Darned Impressed #6  
JB, I was just jerking your chain a bit. Coming from the old school, I would prefer the geared transmission also. But with my other half in mind, I opted for the hydro tyranny. I am using the hydro transmission for tilling about 2 acres to make it into a lawn, box blading to move dirt from the higher areas to the lower areas, and grading the driveway and it does just fine. As long as the transmission holds up till I go to meet my maker, I'll be happy.

I've been told the hydro transmission is "bullet proof" by my salesman if you can ever figure out why one would want a bullet proof transmission in the first place. Maybe where he comes from there is a lot of lead flying around?:eek:

Having a choice is a great thing. This is a great country.

/ Darned Impressed #7  
Well, yes the gears are more accurate, however we of the Hydro gang like our hydros so much we plan ought every job so it can be easy with "der hydro"

/ Darned Impressed
Well I guess I'm lucky, my SO grew up on a farm, drove tractors and can easily drive a stick shift! lol She has yet to do anything with the tractor but I'm sure she'll mow and stuff and some point, but then why should I let her have any of the fun!

I looked quite a while in my search for the tractor, I just couldn't get past the extra money or significant drop in power that the hydro's cause. It would probably be easier to mow with a hydro and lot's of loader work would be faster as well, but I don't think I'd get half my jobs done with a equally priced hydro because it wouldn't have enough power and or traction. I really don't have anything against hydro's but It's fun to get things stirred up.

/ Darned Impressed #9  
Now lets see some pictures of the yard. Sounds as though its really shaping up for you.:D :D :D

/ Darned Impressed #10  
maut9r said:

You might be surprised at what a hydro can do. I had a tractor with a shuttle shift transmission (12 gears forward & 12 reverse) - and the hydro will outpull the gear tractor for one reason - load match.

When I pull a box blade with the hydro versus the gear - no contest, the hydro will pull more; as load match will automatically slow the tractor while applying more power. If you haven't experienced it, you wouldn't believe how well it works.

I'm glad you like your tractor - that's what's important.