2 Speed Hydro vs 3 Speed EHydro

/ 2 Speed Hydro vs 3 Speed EHydro #1  

db05

Is there much of a difference between the 2 speed hydro and the 3 speed ehydro. I'm looking at the 3203 & 4105(hydro) vs the 20 series(ehydro). Also include anything you know about dependability of the 2 types. Thanks for the help.

/ 2 Speed Hydro vs 3 Speed EHydro #2  
I have a 3203 with the two range hydro transmission. I feel that the two range fits this size tractor well. The low gear is just right for heavy work and the higher gear is well suited for light duty work and transport. I previously owend a 4310 with the ehydro, that had three ranges. I mostly used the low range for power, and occasionly the middle range for faster speeds. I found that the third range was rather pointless because the 32hp engine didnt have the power to make good use of the high gear. I feel that the two range is all you need for this size and hp tractor.

/ 2 Speed Hydro vs 3 Speed EHydro #3  
db05:

I can't speak for the 3203 but I have a 2305 (Two range mechanical Hydro), and a 3720 3 range E-Hydro). I also had a 3320 Ehydro.

The E-Hydro has a lot of features that you don't have in the mechanical hydro like Load match, 'real' cruise control (Not just a pedal lock), Motion Match, Speed Match, etc. Many of these you may never use but probably one or two you'll really like.

There are also some minor 'niceties' like you can hop off the tractor (or stand up off of the seat to see something while it's in gear (But not moving) and it'll still run with the ehydro (Since it electrically prevents the tractor from moving) vs stand up off the seat on a mechanical hydro and it'll kill the engine.

The third range also is very good for transport. Any of the 3x20 series will do somewhere between 17 and 19mph depending upon tires.

From a 'feel' point of view I prefer the mechanical pedals (And I'm not alone). You get feedback from them. If you are spinning the wheels you know without looking. I've had my 3720 (and Formerly 3320) spinning (R4's and R3's) and until I looked at the tires spinning I didn't know it. The ehydro pedals give you no feedback at all. You get used to the ehydro quickly but I still would prefer the 'feel' of the mechanical hydro pedals.

That being said - being if it was me I'd probably opt for the 3 speed and ehydro anyway. Also, any of the tractors that have Ehydro (3x20 series) have many more features that the 3203 doesn't have other than ehydro.

One thing of note that there is some feedback here on is I suspect the Ehydro's have more problems due to higher complexity than the mechanical hydros. Even the pedals are electronic on the ehydro.

/ 2 Speed Hydro vs 3 Speed EHydro #4  
When I had a 2520 with 2 range, I had to shift to low, to dig into a pile of dirt, then back to high to go across the yard to dump it. When mowing, low range was to slow for me, about 4.5 mph. High was too high for parts of my yard, but other parts I could go about 10mph. The models you are looking at have more power than my 2520 did, and that should help. The best way to know if you will be happy is a good test drive, where you could actually use the tractor. I really like my 3 range 3320 and most of the time, I'm in b range. JC

/ 2 Speed Hydro vs 3 Speed EHydro #5  
Hi db

Would definitely go with the eHydro if you can swing the added payment...

The mid (B) range is ideal for most all work situations (except slow ground engaging or transport) by virtue of the loadmatch system that comes on automatically to drop the tranny into A range if the motor starts to pull down.

Usually end up shifting very little having the B...

C is not of much use unless pushing light snow or going some distance quickly... loadmatch drops to B on any decent grade or with any marginal load...

Good luck with the purchase!:)

/ 2 Speed Hydro vs 3 Speed EHydro
Thanks for all the info. What would you do:

I've got quotes on a new 3203 with 300 loader at 15,800

I've found two 4310's with loaders:
1 with 275 hrs at 14,700
1 with 22 hrs at 15,700

Once again, much appreciation for the info.