Garden/lawn tractor help

/ Garden/lawn tractor help #1  

coolbrze

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5800
I've got a John Deere 155C that's a couple years old. It won't start w/o jumpstarting it and once it's jumpstarted, it runs fine. As soon as I turn on the mower deck it stalls out and has to be jumpstarted again. Any ideas - bad battery, seat cutoff switch, etc.? Any help is greatly appreciated.

/ Garden/lawn tractor help #2  
Replace the battery and then check your charging system. The charging system on that tractor is not good enough to run the pto and the engine at the same time with no battery help.

/ Garden/lawn tractor help
shot_gun said:
Replace the battery and then check your charging system. The charging system on that tractor is not good enough to run the pto and the engine at the same time with no battery help.

Thanks. I forgot to mention, the tractor is less than 2 years old. I just went through the packet I got when I bought it from Home Depot and didn't see anything specifing the length of the warranty. Is/was there a 1 or 2 year warranty w/ the 155C and if 2 year, is the battery covered before I spend my $ on it? Thanks again.

/ Garden/lawn tractor help #4  
There is a standard 2 year warranty. The battery however is going to be prorated. Meaning that the older the battery gets the less warranty will cover it. Take it to a local JD dealer and they can test it and also tell you whats left on the warranty.

/ Garden/lawn tractor help
Shotgun, thanks for the help, you were right, it was the battery. Apparently good ol JD has electric clutches in this tractor and if the battery doens't have enough juice, the mower won't work.

/ Garden/lawn tractor help #6  
just my way of thinking. buy it at hd. but then take it to a jd dealer. the ones sold at hd are not the same quality as at a jd dealer. around here deere is shutting down the local dealers. you must have mega sales or else. how do you think a mega dealer will fix any thing you did not buy from them. and or will they even want to carry home owner sub compacts or cuts. I'm thinking the mega dealers will have the big ticket iteams and tought luck to sub or cut tractors and attchments.

/ Garden/lawn tractor help #7  
the ones sold at hd are not the same quality as at a jd dealer.

This is not true. They are identical quality. The difference is when a dealer sets up a machine at a dealer they can drive it around test all it's functions, identify any problems and fix them before they ever get to the customer. When a dealer sets up a machine at HD/Lowes they have to keep them in the crate and can only use a nurse tank to run the machines. The tech may set up the machine and the ones that go out right away to customers usually don't have a problem but the ones that sit around for 6-8 months or more before they get sold are more suseptable to problems, missing stuff ect. Just for the record the dealer I work for is a small family owned business on one acre. The owner built his business with customer service. we do a fair amount of volume and atribute this to the service we provide. So not all of the dealers fit the MEGA dealer profile. I will admit we are in the minority. Being a small dealer is not easy but can be done.

coolbrze. Your welcome, glad I could help.