Dual Stage Clutch JD 1050

/ Dual Stage Clutch JD 1050 #1  

jgbanshee

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 310SE, JD 4300, JD 5210, JD 450 Crawler, CAT D3B, Ford 2N, Ford 5000 Ford 4000su, Ford 1100
I need to replace the clutch in my 1050. The PTO clutch seems fine, though I will be replacing that clutch disk also while I am in there. I never fooled with a dual stage clutch before. My plan is to replace the tranny clutch disk, pto clutch disk, pressure plate, bearings. Are there two pressure plates or one? I do not really understand the JDPARTS illustration.

YTMAG offers a: (Clutch Kit - Tru-Power Clutch kit. DUAL CLUTCH. Contains NEW : Clutch 9in. pressure plate assy (19 spline-36mm 6-pad), Heavy-duty 9in. disc (13 spline-25mm hub, woven disc) release bearing, pilot bearing. Fits: 850, 870 (s\n 016000 & up), 900HC (w\yanmar diesel), 970, 1050, 1070. (Part No: AM878710K)).

If I buy a new pressure plate, do I have to do all the adjustments or is everything preset?

/ Dual Stage Clutch JD 1050 #2  
I haven't replaced a clutch and pressure plate since I helped my Uncle with his IH 560. That's been a few years...

Nonetheless, when I owned a JD970, I bought the OEM JD techical repair manual on eBay and was pleasantly surprised at the total detail covering all aspects from complete overhaul to clutch replacement to hydraulic and electrical system blueprints. Best $60 bucks I ever spent on eBay!

From what I can remember about the dual clutch on the 970 --- seems like the "package" was one pressure plate with the twin clutch discs sandwiched in the pressure plate assembly - one in front of the other. Appears that the kit from YTMAG has all that.

But the manual will be an invaluable reference and will help you verify all the components that you will likely need to replace. And the next person who buys your tractor will appreciate it as well.

The adjustment is relatively simple; involves adjusting the pedal. (Book covers that, too.)

Best of luck.

AKfish