JD mount vs.skid steer mount on FEL's

/ JD mount vs.skid steer mount on FEL's #1  

DPic105

Tractor
JD 990
Looking for info on anyone that uses the skid steer mount instead of the JD mount on their FEL's. I just purchased a 5203 with the 522 FEL, and was thinking about having the FEL mount switched before it gets delivered. I'm actully looking for a couple of questions answered.
How much extra does it cost? Is there an option when you buy it where they take off for the original mount, ie save 300 and then add 400 for the difference?
Do you need to buy an aftermarket bucket or does JD have a bucket with the skid mount?

Thanks

/ JD mount vs.skid steer mount on FEL's #2  
My opinion:
The JD mount is great, simple, fast and very effective. There are three basic attachments that you will use on your FEL: Bucket, Forks, and a Grapple bucket, all of which are readily available with the JD QA system. The idea of using SSL style attachments may sound great-but the reality is most will not work with your tractor due to the low hydraulic flow compared to a SSL.

/ JD mount vs.skid steer mount on FEL's #3  
I've got to agree with kennyd..... the JD sysem is simple and light, so it doesn't eat up lifting capacity. If you really want to add skidsteer type attachments, Millonzi..... and several others, will sell you a JD to skidsteer adapter. You can add it later, having the best of both worlds.

/ JD mount vs.skid steer mount on FEL's #4  
I had my loader delivered with JD Skid Steer QA vs. JD normal mounting. I think it was ~$500 or so. They did not discount it by trading in the JD ends, but they gave them to me and I could switch back easily if I ever wanted to. For me it wasn't so much the desire to use hydraulic SS attachments (although you could build a 3pt. PTO driven pump system and run them with any tractor), but the versatility. I may add another tractor or replace this one at some point in the future. It might be a different brand if my needs change. As long as I stay with the SS QA, any attachments I collect will still be useful. Skid Steer stuff (root rakes, rock buckets, etc.) is readily available and very affordable (esp. used) as those machines take over as the tool of choice for landscapers and builders.

JD makes skid steers, so of course they have buckets (among lots of other things)...

/ JD mount vs.skid steer mount on FEL's #5  
Ductape and kennyd are correct in that the JD system is light (doesn't eat up FEL lift) and probably is nearly as quick to attach and detach implements.

With a 522 loader, you might not really miss that 75lbs, though. And the selection of bucket types and sizes and forks, etc. is fairly extensive with the SS system.

And if you ever get yourself a root grapple (or a heavy bale grapple) you'll appreciate the SS hookup.... lining up the pin and wrestling with the clip on an attachment that might weigh close to 700lbs is not my idea of a "routine" I'd enjoy.

When I priced the SS for the 300 and 400 series JD loaders it was around $300 additional (your results with the 522 may vary...). It would be money well spent --- IMO.

AKfish

/ JD mount vs.skid steer mount on FEL's
A close friend has a rental buisness, and I can "borrow" anything that he has. That was one of the main reasons for my thinking. I just don't know what the lift capacity of the 522 is, yet. I just sold my 990 in order to get the 5203, and I know that the 430 loader was a little weak at times. I'm guessing that the 522 loader will be a huge improvment.

/ JD mount vs.skid steer mount on FEL's #7  
I went with the SS mount for many of the same reasons. I got mine delivered with it so I cant honestly say what it costs...but I do know there was a credit for the standard bucket & hookups...I got my SS quick setup "free" as the dealer had a Brand New 60" HD Foundry bucket from a NH Skid Steer sitting there on the lot which had some slight surface rust, etc... from what I gethered, it had been sitting there for a while...I got what I want, and he was glad to rid himself of this bucket.
I didnt get it to run hi-flow implements, I got it to make it easy to shop around for used buckets, etc... from my research, the Compact Tractor guys like to sell everything in one lot and the contractor types with Skid Steers dont mind parting everything out. Not to mention, shopping for new stuff is equally easy.
ssquick.jpg

/ JD mount vs.skid steer mount on FEL's #8  
not familiar with the JD system, but I LOVE the Quick attach. I can't see living without it. Can change over between front implements in 15 seconds.

And a glance at my PHD will show there are low flow implements that work :D

/ JD mount vs.skid steer mount on FEL's #9  
Charlesaf3 said:
And a glance at my PHD will show there are low flow implements that work :D

Even then....a buddy of mine and I were talking the other weekend.....IF I ever come across the "Deal too good to pass up" on a high flow SS implement I just had to have, I'd just fabricate a PTO Powered pump with adequate flow. Theres no reason a completely containted unit (Pump, Resevoir, Electric Solenoid Valve, etc)couldnt be designed basically identical to the Deere Ballast Box. iMatch and all :cool:

/ JD mount vs.skid steer mount on FEL's #10  
Spudland_Dave said:
Theres no reason a completely containted unit (Pump, Resevoir, Electric Solenoid Valve, etc)couldnt be designed basically identical to the Deere Ballast Box. iMatch and all :cool:

They're on this site. I think Farmerford built one to go with a modified to hydraulic FEL bushhog...