Deere 4400 PTO question

/ Deere 4400 PTO question #1  

Tritonman

Gold Member
I am still getting used to my new used Deere 4400 and am having trouble with the PTO. I am in shopping for an owners manual right now. My question is when I turn the PTO on both the mid shaft and the rear are turning. I am assuming if I push down on the round knob that will disengage the mid pto, my problem is that it wont go down. Am I missing something or what do I need to do to adjust its attitude. Thanks

/ Deere 4400 PTO question #2  
When you push the mid-pto button down-it should dis-engage the mid. Up is ON and down is OFF. It should be connected to a small bellcrank linkage then goes to the aluminum mid-pto gearbox. Check to make sure the linkages are lubricated. I can post a picture later from JDParts if you need it.

/ Deere 4400 PTO question
I will check it out. Right now it does not want to adjust at all.

/ Deere 4400 PTO question #4  
I have a 4200 with a mid PTO I've never used; but I seem to recall a warning sticker on the fender that says don't use the mid and rear PTO's at the same time. Could that be the problem in your case?

You can get the owners manual online from Deere publications. The CD-ROM version is about half the cost of the hard-copy version as I recall. I just got the shop manual for the 4200 - 4400 on CD-ROM because $65 was easier to swallow than $130. But the CD shop manual is in PDF format, which is great; but Deere didn't put any bookmarks and hyperlinks in it to make navigating the manual easier. I've been adding bookmarks and links to mine as a fill in project. What a nuisance.

/ Deere 4400 PTO question #5  
I have a 4200 with a mid PTO I've never used; but I seem to recall a warning sticker on the fender that says don't use the mid and rear PTO's at the same time. Could that be the problem in your case?

You have no choice here...The mid-pto is driven from the rear-pto shaft inside the tranny. The sticker say's not to engage the mid while the rear is engaged, or the gears will grind bad. You must pull up the mid-pto button first, then engage the rear-pto.

/ Deere 4400 PTO question #6  
kennyd said:
You have no choice here...The mid-pto is driven from the rear-pto shaft inside the tranny. The sticker say's not to engage the mid while the rear is engaged, or the gears will grind bad. You must pull up the mid-pto button first, then engage the rear-pto.

Thanks for the clarification, now if I can figure out something to run with my mid-PTO besides a MMM, I'll have to give it a try.

/ Deere 4400 PTO question #7  
A broom is about the only other choice...But you should at least turn it on once in a while just to get it turning and get some oil on the seals.

/ Deere 4400 PTO question #8  
Tritonman said:
I am still getting used to my new used Deere 4400 and am having trouble with the PTO. I am in shopping for an owners manual right now. My question is when I turn the PTO on both the mid shaft and the rear are turning. I am assuming if I push down on the round knob that will disengage the mid pto, my problem is that it wont go down. Am I missing something or what do I need to do to adjust its attitude. Thanks

Good advice from all who replied.

There is a FAQ message that is at the top of this forum. On page 3, the third message, are links to many of the on-line manuals, including the one for the 4200-4300-4400 Operating

Like Kennyd suggested, crawl under the tractor with a light and check the linkage. You may have run over a branch and had a piece of it become lodged in the linkage.

/ Deere 4400 PTO question
I crawled under the tractor and was able to tap the linkage and get it freed up. Still stiff, will continue to bathe it in wd 40.

/ Deere 4400 PTO question #10  
Tritonman said:
I crawled under the tractor and was able to tap the linkage and get it freed up. Still stiff, will continue to bathe it in wd 40.

Great news, you may need to remove the bolt that holds the bellcrank in the linkage and clean it up with a wire brush, then grease it. I think that is were it's probably binding. WD40 won't be a long term fix...