White smoke on startup of new 790

/ White smoke on startup of new 790 #1  

Hondo1

Tractor
YM1300D
My new 790 seems to start a little slow when cold. (it is not even that cold out now). It also smokes white smoke for a good minute or two while warming up. Is this normal? I havew a Cummins Turbo Diesel and had a 2 cylinder Yanmar and neither gave a puff of smoke and the yanmar had way over 1,000 hours on it.

Thanks

Hondo

/ White smoke on startup of new 790 #2  
My 4010 with Yanmar engine puffs whitish, a tad bluish, smoke on starup when it's really cold (below about 30-40 F). Usually only lasts a few seconds though.

Our 25 year old Benz gives a little bit of blackish smoke on startup when really cold. No whitish smoke like from the JD.

Both the JD and the Benz start instantly after a bit of glowing, usually 4 to 6 seconds each one. One thing I like about diesels. Even after sitting 6 to 9 months, they'll start instantly (after glowing).

Ralph

/ White smoke on startup of new 790 #3  
Hondo1 said:
My new 790 seems to start a little slow when cold. (it is not even that cold out now). It also smokes white smoke for a good minute or two while warming up. Is this normal? I havew a Cummins Turbo Diesel and had a 2 cylinder Yanmar and neither gave a puff of smoke and the yanmar had way over 1,000 hours on it.

Thanks

Hondo

My 790 (about 50 hours on it) requires the intake heat to start and smokes like crazy for about 5 minutes anytime it is below 70 degrees or so. If I plug in the block heater it starts immediately and doesn't smoke. I had a Yanmar tractor that acted the same way. I assume it is because I'm at 8600 feet. I can't get my dealer to tell me anything useful but I assume it is normal for this engine at this altitude.